main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Sync speed 7mbs and drop outs

Highlighted
3: Seeker

Hi,

Over the last 10 days I have been experiencing very slow internet and numerous drop outs daily.

I had been syncing at 46mbs and it dropped to 38 over the weekend, 33 by Monday, and then last night after another call to tech support it dropped to 10. This morning I'm syncing at 7mbs.

I originally was told on Saturday that I would be contacted over the next 48 to 72 hours as they did some tests and said the Vodafone router was reporting some line issues. No one contacted me.

I tried again last night and did some more tests with the master socket off and again support confirmed that there is a problem with my line. He did some adjustments and now my sync speed has dropped from 33 to 7mbs. Confirmed on speedtest.net. I have factory reset the router which has improved nothing. 

I am now awaiting contact again in the next 48 hours but have little faith the problem will be solved. How do I escalate this? I work from home and it is now impacting my ability to connect to the work network reliably.  

View more options
8 REPLIES

Hi @sbdags I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your broadband, I know it's really important to have this sorted out. As you've been advised you'll be contacted within the next 48 hours, we'll need to wait this time frame. If you aren't contacted by this point, please let us know. 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

don't wait as you are paying for a service you are not getting and you probably won't be contacted within the next 48 hours  you may get a text message saying great news your issues is fixed which means the support ticket has just been closed . i would ring or live chat vodafone , tell them your sync is below the minimum guaranteed speed , tell them you also want to be credited for the downtime . they normally can get a bt openreach engineer out the next day .

Do you have a dialling tone if yes then ring 17070 you can select a quite test , you can listen to see if you can hear any noise on your line.

i also had this issue and it turned out to be fec corrections on the router that was causing the line to keep resyncing lower and lower 35mb to 16mb im not saying it is as your sync has dropped a lot more but reading around the web this issues seems to be getting more common as soon as i plugged in a non vodafone router in my speed jump up 

my story

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/60-000-fec-corrections-every-3-seconds-and-real...

View more options

Thanks both. I'll wait out the 48 hours (only 24 to go). Things improved slightly yesterday during the day but have started to go slower again this morning. 

The support on this is pretty poor as I originally reported it Saturday and it's now Thursday. I've been told to wait 48 to 72 hours both times. What happened to Saturday's call back?

View more options

Can I ask what are you waiting for. What do you think is going to happen in the next 24 hours 

Because if you think your line speed is going to go to what it should be then sorry to say it's not . The only people that can solve errors with your phone line and reset the line management so you get full speed is a bt broadband openreach engineer .all vodafone can do is send you a new router if you got a faulty one and book you a bt broadband openreach engineer.  Or book you a bt standed line engineer.that can sort your phone line out if your phone is not working   

View more options

Well that have called me today and have confirmed that the fault appears to be external whatever that means so an open reach engineer will be checking it. 

Speed has gone back up for now for some reason so I'll see what transpires. I do have an Asus router I can switch over if needed and have my Vodafone logins if it does turn out to be the router which I suspect it might be. 

View more options

external ,they just saying its some where from your house to the exchange , and not in your house like a line filter etc .

if you do use another router setting are 

Vlan ID - 101

Username  - ******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Password - ********

PPPoE

MTU Size : 1492

View more options

Well the Open Reach engineer has been this morning and could find no problems external (as expected) but he has replaced the wiring outside the house (?) and also fitted a new master socket as he said the old one was very old and a bit tired. He was getting in the 50s when he tested the line speed and thought that was reasonable. He saw the stability go up and reset the line. Currently syncing at 56mbs so we'll have to wait and see but I hadn't got over 48mbs before with vodafone. That is roughly what I was getting with BT so I'm quietly optimistic. He did say to try another router if I saw any more issues to eliminate that although he didn't think the vodafone one was notoriously bad just cheap. His words. I have both a netgear nighthawk and asus rt-ac66u that I can test with if needed.

View more options

at lease if your speed start dropping then you know it the router , hope you are sorted 

View more options