Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Synology RT2600ac setup with Vodafone Router

Heinrich
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi everyone,

I've tried to setup my Synology RT2600ac to no avail. Everyone I speak to at Vodafone doesn't seem to know how to setup a third party router via WAN. I've got the Vodafone username/password in order to set up the Synology via PPPoE but everytime get to that stage in the setup it won't connect and I'm told to "check my internet settings".

I've seen other threads where people seem to have successfully connected a Synology router but is my Vodafone router faulty or am I just doing something wrong? I can't seem to see a "modem only" mode either for the Vodafone router.

I've confirmed three times on three different occassions whether the vodafone username/password is correct and it apparently is. I'mjust fed up now as this should have been a fairly simple affair to setup.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The two common modems are:

HG612V3b - ex BT but you have to find one that is unlocked.  Only available 2nd hand from eBay and the like - don't pay too much.

Draytek Vigor 130 - it's far easier if you get the UK version.  Getting the stats requires a little work, but it's nothing that takes a genius!

Billion & Zyxel modem/router combos.  Many variants of these allow you to turn off the router functions.   They are not all created equal though, so it's best to check on forums such as http://kitz.co.uk first.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Vodafone modem/router does not have a modem only mode!

If you plug a cable from the WAN port on your new router into a LAN port on the VF modem/router you should be able to browse the internet, but you'll be double NATing which can cause o host of issues for online gaming, IPTV, VOIP, of having smart devices accessed from the internet (ie it's not really a good idea long term).

The other option, possibly just in the short term is to set your new router up as an access point.  This means that the VF router is still effectively controlling your network, but at least you'll have better WiFi.

In the longer term, the ideal solution is to get your own VDSL2 modem - which is the first time you'll actually need your username and password!

Hey Keith!

Thank you for your reply! I feel a bit more educated now.

Any recommendations on a VDSL modem? I'd like to just to it all properly. I'll do my own research anyway but always helpful to have advice form people who have done it before.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The two common modems are:

HG612V3b - ex BT but you have to find one that is unlocked.  Only available 2nd hand from eBay and the like - don't pay too much.

Draytek Vigor 130 - it's far easier if you get the UK version.  Getting the stats requires a little work, but it's nothing that takes a genius!

Billion & Zyxel modem/router combos.  Many variants of these allow you to turn off the router functions.   They are not all created equal though, so it's best to check on forums such as http://kitz.co.uk first.

Keith, thank you very much for your reply!

I'll look forward to reading up more and shopping around this week!

Hi

Just wanted to post and update to say I've got it all working. I bought a TP-Link TD-W9970 to use as a modem and it's worked well with the Synology RT2600ac.

It's all setup and running! :Smiling: