Welcome to Vodafone Community
I've just got Vodafone activated today and I'm having a real hard time with my smart switch, it worked perfectly on my Plusnet router but it's literally taking minutes to connect, other 2.4ghz devices also hang on obtaining IP address, this doesn't occur on the 5Ghz band but my smart switch only supports 2.4Ghz.
It's there a firmware update that needs applying to improve 2.4Ghz performance?
That's very strange @Spies. Have you tried splitting your SSID?
Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID
You can do this by logging into your router menu:
- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1
- Enter the password - vodafone
- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode
- Go to the Wi-Fi tab
- Scroll down and click on split SSID
- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.
- Hit apply
I wonder if you connected your other devices to the 5Ghz frequency, it would free up some bandwidth on the 2.4Ghz for your smart device.
Some devices work better on different channels too, so it's worth changing your Wi-Fi channels to see if it gives a better performance.
Changing Wi-Fi Channels
- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu
- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.
- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.
Our new router is still very fresh, so there will be firmware updates coming out over the next few months. These will be updated automatically during the night. Please keep an eye on your connection and keep us updated, if you continue having trouble; we'll be able to take a closer look.