cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000G & UniFi - PPPoE Details needed?

rogy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Im trying to setup my UniFi network with my Vodafone THG3000G and running into problems.

My initial setup is as follows, given there is no 'bridge' mode it seems on the THG3000:

1. Setup USG->USW->AC-AP-Lite with no WAN connection, all looks good, can see and connect to the AP.

2. Turn off firewall, WiFi, DHCP and change gateway address on the Vodafone box away from 192.168.1.1 to some like .100

3. Connect vodafone LAN1 to USG WAN.

I kind of assumed this would just work. I was wrong.

My best guess now is that I need my PPOE details from Vodafone to plug into the USG network settings? Any other ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, there is more to turning the Vodafone Modem/router than just turning off DHCP/DNS and any other settings you can reach.  The THG3000 is still going to act like a router, so you don't need the PPPoE settings, but the only way you are going to get any luck is by "double NATting!" - which it is quite likely the Unifi USG is by its nature will not like one little bit!

If you are on Superfast 1 or 2 then you really need a VDSL2 modem - a cheap unlocked HG612 V3b off eBay will work.

On the other hand if you are on Gigafast, you should be able to plug the USG straight into the ONT and set the VLAN using the USG - but you will need the username and password!

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Can I just add to the above excellent answer.........

The Default Gateway should probably remain as 192.168.1.1, and the DNS default value of

192.168.1.1 could be changed.

As I understand it the default is via VodaFone and "family safe" unlike choosing 8.8.8.8 / 1.1.1.1

BUT I would ping the various points to see how far I can get.

C:\>ping 192.168.1.1
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\>ping 13.107.4.52
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

###########

Research suggests (and you may already know this)....

Firstly, you can't have the Vodafone box as 192.168.1.100 because the 192.168.1.1xx network is on the LAN side of the USG. That would be why you can't get internet. Change the Vodafone box to 192.168.2.100, update the dhcp pool on the Vodafone as well to 192.168.2.x and that should work.