Welcome to Vodafone Community
Hello, I would like to bring up what seems to be an old problem. The internet is full of this issue, with no working solutions and very little feedback from Vodafone. Here is a thread from this very forum back in 2015 https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Website-security-certificate-coming-from-vodafone-conten...
I am suffering this very issue, and it is most certainly something your end or the router.
I would like to add I have tried solutions posed in the above thread. The problem occurs on all internet browsers on all devices connected via the router. I do not have any site blocked on my profile, and no safe browsering option enabled. The problem goes away when I use my phone via 3 or 4G, as in bypassing the router. I have supplied images showing what appears via websites effected, not just Imgur as the example shows. Adding an exception does not help.
Just change to using different DNS servers in the router config. Most people will choose Google's although the Open DNS ones are also reported to be extremely quick.
It'll take you less than a minute to do and all of your problems will vanish.
Is it Vodafone's problem? Yup
Should it be something Vodafone fix? Yup
Could you complain, weekly, about this issue? Yup
However, you can solve it right now and not hae these issues.
I've seen this at a friend's house earlier. I thought "meh, they didn't disable parental control, I never see this". Then I came back home. And I've seen this.
I'll try the DNS solution in the router, as the router had been using Google DNS until recently. I've decided to stop using Google DNS in the router and use it directly in my computer after some very bad performance issues (and I cannot configure DHCP to give me Google DNS directly, I always get 192.168.0.1). I thought "meh, the router can use Vodafone's DNS for all I care", but if changing the DNS in the router even though it shouldn't bother me at all then... WTH Vodafone?
Thanks for getting in touch @Uplink, let us know whether changing your DNS settings resolves the issue. If do need any further help pop back to us here 😊
@Uplink What website were you trying to access? We're aware of a few pages that are restricted due to various issues with them in the past. Joe
I don't remember. They're some sites I get on my Facebook feed. I don't know if or when I'll try to debug this, since it's essentially "fixed" for me.
My guess is that there's module in the router that does a reverse DNS lookup on the IP to see if I'm trying to go to a questionable website, because otherwise all these sites are on HTTPS, and my computers go directly to 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11 for DNS, so you guys have no idea where I'm going to besides the IP address. I'm guessing the Vodafone DNS responds with a special something telling the router it is supposed to intercept the connection. My guess this intercept is in the router, or otherwise my DNS settings wouldn't matter.
But even with the "how it works" known, it still doesn't work properly. Because it's a MITM basically, you have to use a SSL certificate that no browser trusts, so it all explodes regardless. Even if one adds an exception for that certificate, the page it redirects to is broken (e.g. https://my.bad.site/www.vodavone.com/something-about-parental-controls/www.vodavone.com/something-ab...)
@Uplink It's further down the connection the check is done. If the issue is resolved by using 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 then it's the content at the DNS level that's blocking the connection as a suspect IP address. As I said due to issues with certain websites in the past our DNS may restrict access. Joe