main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Third Party Router Settings

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Having experienced drop outs every few minutes, I have successfully connected my old TalkTalk HG633 and have had 0 dropouts for days now, so all good. BUT I am concerned about the system logs and they are showing intrusion all the time. I have unchecked the Remote Management Setting as obviously with VF now and dont really want TT to know I'm using router.

Do I need to put in any other settings? Speed is great, literally just the security angle that concerns me.

Thanks

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
15: Advanced member

Well, I kind of assume that you have already obtained your username and password from Vodafone, or you shouldn't be able to connect.  *If you haven't then that's potentially a serious issue, and could point to the reason that your VF router kept dropping the connection!

As for the intrusion detection, if you've been assigned a Vodafone IP address that has previously been allocated to a compromised client, then it's something that you are going to get.  Provided the router firmware is up to date and you have protection on your devices though it should not be an issue

View more options

Yes I have the username and password from VF. When we were trying to fix the drops with VF they assigned me a fixed IP so maybe that's the issue? Should I ask them to change that?

View more options
15: Advanced member

Generally no!  Sometimes too much information can be unnecessarily worrying.  The fact that the router is detecting intrusion attempts is going to mean that it is successfully protecting your home network from those attacks.  Even if you went back to a dynamically assigned WAN IP address, there are still times when your network is going to come under attack - you just have to rely on the abilities of your router and your connected devices to repel those attacks (*it's worth making sure that if you have windows that it's updated).

There is no real way around this, though I'm sure someone will incorrectly tell you that using a VPN will do everything from fully protecting your network (it won't), to killing the fleas on the neighbours ginger tom!

View more options

So I don't need to do anything further then? All wifi and router is working fine. Firmware up to date and Windows firewall active. Just was concerned about the 'warnings' in the system log and didn't know whether I needed to change any of the settings in router.. 

View more options