cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Toshiba TV connects to Vodafone router then immediately drops.

micklemartin
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I went onto Vodafone broadband service yesterday.  Internet works fine for phones, tablets and laptop, but my Toshiba Smart TV won't remain connected.  The TV finds the router, wirelessly, and connects to internet, then seems to immediately drop, because no internet service available for smart apps on the TV.  The TV connected fine with my previous internet provider's router.  I can't use a wired connection, as the router is in a different room to the TV.  Also, the router refuses to work on ADSL modem (red flashing Internet light), which means I can't move it to a location closer to the TV.  Help!

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Have you tried powering the TV off and on again in case there is something still setup from your previous provider?

The TV should include a speed test function, does that work?

Does the TV show in the list of connected devices in the Vodafone router?

Edit:

@micklemartin wrote:

Also, the router refuses to work on ADSL modem (red flashing Internet light), which means I can't move it to a location closer to the TV.

I don't understand this comment, can you explain a little more.

Many thanks for the quick reply.  I tried switching the TV off (unplugging), leaving off for 5 mins, turning back on.  Re-connected wirelessly to the Vodafone router, TV discovered the router and appeared to connect (connection successful message), but the TV didn't show up on list of connected devices on the router, and the TV didn't connect to the internet.  😞

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

We have a Toshiba 32” smart TV (upstairs in a bedroom)  that similarly drops its wifi connection.  Bloody annoying because connecting is a clumsy process but strangely, with a wired connection to the (wirelessly connected) mesh node in the same room it never loses its connection.  That sort of points to the TV.

Our main TV, a Samsung has a known wifi failure issue but it is connected by wire and again, never ever drops its connection.

Thanks, Happy Nomad.  That’s helpful.  I was thinking along the same lines, that I might end up having to go for some sort of wired solution.  The only practical solution would be to use homeplugs to connect through the house wiring network. I have a couple of old Solwise homeplugs, but sadly one isn’t working.  I’m a bit mystified as to why the Vodafone router won’t connect to internet via standard phone socket and ADSL micro filter.  To me this seems to indicate a faulty router?

It’s frustrating that the TV connected fine via wifi to my old Plusnet router.

Happy to hear from anyone else with other ideas. 
Really impressed with the support via this forum!  Sadly unimpressed by the support provided by Vodafone (chat bot).

Cynric

My "Pain-a-sonic" is fine apart from its poorly implemented "smart tv" software and also a flaky Wi-Fi even though it's in the same room as the router. So it's connected by powerline ethernet over mains cable.

Jayach

@micklemartin wrote:

I’m a bit mystified as to why the Vodafone router won’t connect to internet via standard phone socket and ADSL micro filter.  To me this seems to indicate a faulty router?

A modem/router should always be connected to the master socket unless you have an extension DSL socket which requires a specific type of cable.

What kind of master socket do you have? If it's one with built in filter you will never be able to run from an extension socket.

My Toshiba TV had a terrible Wi-Fi connection until I spit the channels on the router and made sure it was only connecting to the 5Ghz. Works fine now.