main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Transfering existing landline number when moving broadband from Talktalk to Vodafone

3: Seeker

Hi,

I am due to switch my Broadband supplier from TalkTalk to Vodafone on 10th Jan and when applying online I entered my existing landline number to be transfered. I have had this number for 20 years so it is important for me to keep it (I will cancel the contract if not).

I recieved an activation confirmation letter today, which indicated that my new landline number would not be the same as my current number. The letter stated:

"If we confirmed that you could keep your existing number but your number is not 01455 292XXX, please get in touch as soon as possible using one of the numbers at the bottom of this letter."

The telephone number has two digits different, so I contacted customer services by telephone and on-line chat and was told the same by both, that nothing could be changed until my line is activated on 10th Jan. If this is indeed the case, then why is the letter asking me to contact customer services "as soon as possible".  I'm worried that I might loose my number. Is there anything that can be done to change the number in the system to ensure that the correct one is transferred over on the activation date? Thankyou for any assistance.

View more options
15 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi @gmatthe5

These are the Vodafone Broadband Terms-and-conditions.

They do state....

"3.6  Activation. Where applicable you authorise us to terminate your agreements with your previous phone and broadband service providers. If we cannot do this on your behalf, you will have to do so directly. We will not be liable for any early termination fees or wrongful cancellation of any agreements with your previous providers. Where requested we will try and keep your old phone number when you transfer to us but cannot guarantee this and we may provide you with a new number. "

The Vodafone Broadband Team available by their dedicated telephone number in the contact-us page is the best place to get official clarification. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks for the quick reply, band of brothers

Think I'm best to cancel the switch to Vodafone if keeping my number can't be guarenteed. 

View more options

You're very welcome for my reply @gmatthe5

It's going to need to be a personal decision before Vodafone take control of your Broadband I would think.

I wish you all the best with your decisions.

View more options

Thanks @BandOfBrothers

Chatted with customer services again. Was assured that I can change my telephone number after activation and that it will be "no hassle". Still don't understand why I have to have a temporary number at all, when I changed supplier previously I had my existing number transferred over on the day of activation. Guess I can cancel within 30 days of activation if still not satisfied.

View more options

Ok

Could you update your thread with the eventual outcome as this type of information can go onto help others searching for similar advice.

View more options

Quick update.

I requested my old number be ported on 11th Jan, one day after broadband activation. I was told it could take up to 10 days. I'm currently still waiting, fingers crossed!

View more options

Thanks for getting back in touch @gmatthe5, please continue to keep us updated 👍

View more options

My original Talktalk landline number was ported today.  So all good

View more options
12: Established

the only thing i would say from a legal point of view  is get it in black and white that you can keep your old number not just a voice chat . i have heard of people losing the number to be told down the line that you cant get it back 

View more options

That's good advice @gipjon. For your information my contact with VF customer services was via online chat followed up with an email record of the chat transcript.  Certainly, I would have referenced this transcript had my number not been ported as promised.  

View more options
View more options

sorry to say @adam its not sorted until the phone number has been swapped and people can ring on it again 

View more options

@gmatthe5 Thanks for getting back to us confirming the port has went through. Could I ask if you can receive calls on the number after it has been ported over? Joe

View more options

Yes, I can make and receive calls. I get the impression that others have had problems. I must be one of the lucky ones 

View more options

I would not get to happy just yet .untill you run a speed test about 9pm or try watch netflix. Twitch tv ect 

View more options