cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trouble connecting a 3rd party router (D-link DIR-X1860) with HG612 modem on Superfast 2

sasha1504
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello All,

I've been using Vodafone router for over 2 years and finally got fed up with Internet dropping several times a day for about a minute every time, with a page showing up from Vodafone asking to reset the DSL line.

So I've read a bunch of post on this forum on how people use a 3rd party router instead of Vodafone default hardware. I bought 3rd part hardware and spent countless sleepless hours trying to make it work but to no avail.

Hence, this post - a cry for help before I give up.

More detail:

1. I got my login and password from Vodafone chat. I copy and paste those into the router settings, so no typos.

2. I bought an Openreach Huawei HG612 3B modem that I saw frequently recommended. I made sure that it is unlocked and that I can log into it (using LAN2). I have all green solid lights on the modem.

3. I bought a D-Link DIR-X1860 AX router with a desire to future proof my broadband setup.

4. I connected DSL line to the modem and LAN1 of the modem to the WAN port of the router. I then connected D-link router to my laptop via the ethernet cable.

5. I went through the D-Link setup wizard that included choosing a PPPoE connection and entering my Vodafone login and password. I also see in settings that VLAN 101, priority 0 is activated.

6. I rebooted the router and modem several times just in case.

So as far as I can see, everything should be working, but it doesn't - the broadband connection on the router is broken. 

Any ideas where I may be going wrong and how to fix the issue?

Any technical assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you

-Sasha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

So, Vodafone are very good at getting the username and password wrong - get them to email the detail to you and make sure that the username is in the format dslxxxxxxxxxx@ broadband.vodafone.co.uk 

Also on FTTC connections (via a phone line) the modem will take care of the VLAN settings, so you don't need or want to set this up on the router.

In most basic setups, provided you have your username and password, then the modem should be pretty much plug and play - on the proviso that it is running the correct firmware:  https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

CrimsonLiar

So, Vodafone are very good at getting the username and password wrong - get them to email the detail to you and make sure that the username is in the format dslxxxxxxxxxx@ broadband.vodafone.co.uk 

Also on FTTC connections (via a phone line) the modem will take care of the VLAN settings, so you don't need or want to set this up on the router.

In most basic setups, provided you have your username and password, then the modem should be pretty much plug and play - on the proviso that it is running the correct firmware:  https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Thank you for your reply.

It was a relief to now that was supposed to be plug and play with VLAN handled by modem, and the only obstacle would be having wrong login credentials from Vodafone chat.  As it happens, I was given the correct credentials, and the error was mine in not resetting the used router D-link I bought via Amazon. Once I reset it properly and ran the set-up wizard, it all just connected. Silly mistake, really. Anyway, your response served as an inspiration to this last-ditch attempt that proved fruitful. I now have 3rd party router successfully connected!