Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

USB printer sharing on Gigabox router

ChrisZ32
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Plugged an old printer into the USB port on my router, and in the web GUI it's recognised it and is giving a link the printer should be accessible from.

But when I try the link I get 403 Forbidden returned. Windows 10 cannot connect to a printer at that address either.

Surely there is a way to allow the connection? Otherwise what is the point of the cups server running on the router?!?

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You probably need to reinstall the printer drivers and install it as a network printer.

I'm far from an expert in this, but I don't think that's how cups works

Jayach

Sorry I have just realised you said Gigabox router, I was thinking Gigafast router (THG3000).

I had never heard of CUPS before, are you sure it is running this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Eww, there's so much that could be going wrong here.  CUPS is fine, and when it works it's pretty much transparent.  But it'd need to have the support files for your specific printer enabled.  I'm guessing that if the router has a CUPS server enabled then it'll just have the most common printer support files included.  Having CUPS enabled on the router though does not mean that it's impossible to access the printer using a virtual printer port, the two systems can work side by side quite happily!

*CUPS Common Unix Printer System

**How things should work and how they work on the VF hardware are often not the same

I hadn't heard of it either, but the page title gives it away so I looked into it.

ChrisZ32_1-1603743236792.png

If the server didn't support my particular printer I wouldn't be at all surprised! But I don't think it would be returning a 403 if that was the problem. AFAIK this means the server is not setup to allow remote access. Seems like a firmware issue to me

Huh it just worked briefly.... added the printer by name in Windows 10 using the URI provided in the router GUI (which I had tried before) and it printed a test page fine. As a test, I turned the printer off and back on again to see if the connection still worked. Now I'm back to it not connecting again 😅 who knows