Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ubiquiti USG

draevans
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Las anyone successfully replaced the Vodafone router with a USG.

I have entered the PPPOE credentials into the USG but never get a connection. The USG has been updated. I have FFTP via CityFibre. Connecting the USG to the vodafone router doesn't work as the router has no bridge mode and hence two DNS servers and same IP address etc.

Ubiquiti suggest simply reseting the MAC on the USG to match the Vodafone router.

Any suggestions welcome..

BTW I have tried Vodafone's customer helpline - and received nothing that was helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The big one is the use the ethernet port on the ONT to connect directly to a PC and check the settings that way.

Vodafone are terrible for giving people the wrong login credentials, and in the case of FTTP giving the incorrect VLAN ID - in most cases it should be 911 (not the 101 you'd use for VDSL).  However, VF FTTP in some locations is using other VLAN IDs!

View solution in original position

48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've been given the correct connection details (including the VLAN ID which is not the same as for FTTC), then you shouldn't have the VF router connected at all, instead, you should just be connecting the Security Gateway directly to the ONT!

Also, make sure your user name is in the format dsl123456789<at>broadband.vodafone.co.uk as support often forget to include from the "@" onwards!

Thank you, but that has already been tried, and it didn't work.

I have read that some say, I need a VDSL modem as the USG doesn't contain one. Others have suggested changing the USG's MAC address.

Others have suggested, turning off DNS in the VF router and adding the USG on a different sub-net.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ONT takes the signal from the fibre cable and converts it (along with filtering out your neighbours data) to an Ethernet signal.  Because it works this way you check that the settings you've been given are correct by connecting a single PC DIRECTLY to the ONT using an ethernet connection and setting up a new connection in Windows Network and sharing centre (remember to remove these settings once the security gateway is used).

When you have an FTTP connection the ONT works in the same fashion as a modem, and so the VDSL abilities of the VF modem/router are completely ignored!

Despite following everyone's helpful suggestions my USG refuses to connect to VF fibre network. The PPPoE and VLAN have been double checked. There is little activity on the WAN led. I am beginning to think this USG is a lemon.

Any other ideas (short of smashing the USG with a very large hammer)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The big one is the use the ethernet port on the ONT to connect directly to a PC and check the settings that way.

Vodafone are terrible for giving people the wrong login credentials, and in the case of FTTP giving the incorrect VLAN ID - in most cases it should be 911 (not the 101 you'd use for VDSL).  However, VF FTTP in some locations is using other VLAN IDs!

Just trying to get the actual VLAN from VF is like drawing teeth in treacle. The support ppl are not very knowledgeable 

Hi,
I found this post while tring to get my setup working. I just got a USG working in Bournemouth. See the attached screenshot. I set the following on the Unifi controller (Networks > WAN).

ONT is plugged into the WAN1 port on the USG via CAT5

Hope this helps.

The issue was VF's supplied parameters. As usual the customer service is limited.

Had my gigafast service enabled yesterday and currently using the Vodaphone router connected to my Unify APs but they need some work as speeds are a lot lower than the Vodaphone box.

My Unify Dream Machine Pro is arriving tomorrow, if I read this correctly the ONT works as a modem so I don't need to use my Draytek? The guy fitting the line disagreed with that but can I just enter my connection details in the UDM/USG connected directly to the ONT?

Thanks in advance.

Richard