Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to see my Synology NAS on LAN with Vodafone Broadband

R80PAL
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just signed up to Vodafone Broandband, when connecting my Synology NAS drive to the back of the router via ethernet I am unable to see my device. I have tried to discover the device but still no joy, can anybody help?

It works fine with my old Talk Talk Router.

48 REPLIES 48

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

We'll be more than happy to take a look for you @fjoshf 🙂

So we can access your account and investigate further, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hello - could you please share this with me too.

Thank you.

Paul.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @pcooklin please explain to us further the problems you're facing so we can help you. 

Hello - When I plug my Synology NAS in to the VF router and run the Synology assistant it sees the NAS and asks me to complete the set up, which I've done using the suggested settings which are normally:

192.168.1.2/5

This comes back as can't connect.

I've also tried specifying my own IP of 192.168.1.3 but still the same.

I have plugged the NAS back in to the old Plusnet router and manually changed the IP to .3, still cant find when I switch back to the VF router.

Ive also tried using DHCP and turning this on the VF router too.

Its currently using the Plusnet router which is LAN to the VF router, which works, I can see it and use it and connect my PC to the LAN but not ideal - Id like to just use the VF router for all. Ive also tried using a switch but nothing works.

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Paul.

machare
13: Advanced Member

What is the /5 at the end of the NAS IP address?

You should set the NAS to use and IP address which is outside the DHCP range of the Vodafone router. You should be able to find the Vodafone DHCP range in the  WEB interface.

For a quick test you could try setting the NAS IP address to something like 192.168.1.100

Thank you. 

The /5 was meant to incdicate a number between 1 and 5. I've aldo tried using 100 but  I get the same error.

Should I still be using DHCP on the VF router when I set it to 100.

machare
13: Advanced Member

I would leave DHCP running on the Vodafone router. It should tell you the range of addresses that it uses.

How do you know the NAS has been set to the correct address?

What happens if you enter "ping 192.168.1.1"  and "ping 192.168.1.100" at the command prompt of a  PC connected to the Vodafone router.

daneB,

I have the same problem. I just switched from sky to vodafone and can not connect the vodafone router to my asustor nas. Please let me know solution or PM me. Thanks

the router sees the ip address of the nas as one which is different to that which the asustor nas sees its own ip address as.

when i try and change in the asustor command center the ip address and sub gateway to the ones of the router has for it, it wont let it be applied and i get an error message “the default gateway is not on the same network segment (subnet) defined by the ip address and subnet mask . (Ref 5302).  Same problem and error message if i try and get it to configure ip automatically.

MarkF
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @golsban, I'd like to be able to run through this with you in more detail. 

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch. 

Hi, I had a similar problem with a Western Digital WD EX2 NAS, which worked fine on my previous broadband supplier Talk Talk., but gave an error as soon as I connected it to the new Vodafone Router.

After contacting Vodafone technical support, who offered a couple of options, based around connecting via USB, I reconfigured my old Talk Talk router as an Access Point (AP) on my home network, and then re-attached my NAS to the AP (Talk Talk) device.

All appears to be fully functional.

Cheers

Garry