main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Unacceptable speeds in the evening

2: Seeker

@Bombero1975 As the problem seems to be over subscription on Vodafone's equipment in the cabinet you shouldn't experience this with other operators, especially BT who will have infinite resources.

@Matttonic In my case the best speeds I get are bellow the minimum speeds stated in Vodafone's initial letter, which means that they never delivered the basic. Additionally I collect numerous speed test results all time stamped and taken under the same conditions, so the pattern is easily identifiable.
Start with a formal written complaint, followed by Ofcom and legal advice.

View more options

@daveNOS I undertsand you're frustrated and I can only apologise for the experience you're having with us.

Please contact our Broadband team as advised by @TJ so we can raise your fault correctly to the relevant team.

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

@DaneB I've spoken to your broadband team on a couple of occasions and to be honest i find myself asking if they know what they are talking about, they blamed the slow throughput initially on the 10 day training period(which doesn't exist on Fibre), then it was down to wireless interference even on my wired connections and finally it was the router even when i pointed out it happened on 2 non Vodafone routers aswell.

I decided at that point to give up with support and just go straight to a formal complaint which after a few days saw my throughput speeds magically increase to what they should be, now i find they are great during the day (30mbps+) but in the evening they plummet to as low as 1.9mbps(from 18:00 to 23:00), that is traffic management that is not mentioned anywhere in the contract i have and its totally unacceptable.  

View more options
3: Seeker

You say you are sorry but your not realy im fed up of reporting poor service, i cant wait to leave vodafone 

View more options

That stinks traffic managment, we are supposed to get a minimum guaranteed speed, i never reach the minimum  although my router gives total different spead to any speed test. 

View more options

Seriously !!!!!!! why are you asking me these stupid questions, im not some stupid idiot who has no clue on how a network works.  Yes i have contacted your broadband team they are about as usfull as a chocolate fireguard!!!!!!

View more options

Hi all,

just to let you know BT & other ISPs will often pay a sum towards the cost of leaving your current provider earlier.

[Removed]

Although the current prices arent as cheap as early jan it still may be worth it.

Plus a reward card of £100

Coupled with £75 cashback from Topcashback could help.

MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove third party content please see Community Guidelines]

View more options

Hi All
I have same problem. For the past three years I had stable fibre line with Talk Talk. Almost full speed 37mb/s peak hours or not. On 12/01/2018 Vodafone took over my line with their services. I thought that nothing will change in regards to speed and reliability. How naive i was. Almost immediately I have noticed problems with my broadband, which was painfully slow on the first evening, and even after first ten days problem persist. My router is synced at 40/10 but real-life speeds are just horrible.
Last Friday I set up on my home server to do speed test against speedtest.net. the test is carried out every 5 min and results are recorded on csv file. My server is on wire connection to the router and WIFI is turned off. Saturday morning, I went abroad and my server was the only device connected to network for 5 days.

On the week days speed start dropping around 17:00 and after midnight speeds going back to where should be. Weekends are even worse. 
You can see and download file from my google docs.

SPEEDTEST.CSV

The file is automatically updated after each test.

When you put data on the spreadsheet and draw some graphs the pattern is clearly visible. Just see the screenshot.

3xCfBUc

Browsing internet during peak is annoyingly slow and streaming from netflix almost impossible.

Can vodafone rectify this?  They should. 

View more options

Hi All

I have same problem. For the past three years I had stable fibre line with Talk-Talk. Almost full speed 37mb/s peak hours or not. On 12/01/2018 Vodafone took over my line with their services. I thought nothing will change in regards to speed and reliability. How naive i was. Almost immediately I have noticed problems with my broadband, which was painfully slow on the first evening, and even after first ten days problem persist. My router is synced at 40/10 but real-life speeds are just awful. 

Last Friday I set up on my home server speed test against speedtest.net. the speed is carried out every 5 min and results are recorded on csv file. My server is on wire connection to the router and WIFI is turned off. Saturday morning, I went abroad and my server was the only device connected to network for 5 days. 

On the week days speed dropping at around 17 and around midnight going back where should be. 

You can see and download file from my google docs. The file is automatically updated after each test.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WDR6m2HJv3RTMePVn-Oh_8YeEcAwSj4y/view

When you put data on the spreadsheet and draw some graphs the pattern is clearly visible. Just see the screenshot on attached file.

Browsing internet during peak hours is annoyingly slow and streaming from Netflix almost impossible.

Can Vodafone rectify this? They should.

wrote:

Hi All

I have same problem. For the past three years I had stable fibre line with Talk-Talk. Almost full speed 37mb/s peak hours or not. On 12/01/2018 Vodafone took over my line with their services. I thought nothing will change in regards to speed and reliability. How naive i was. Almost immediately I have noticed problems with my broadband, which was painfully slow on the first evening, and even after first ten days problem persist. My router is synced at 40/10 but real-life speeds are just awful. 

Last Friday I set up on my home server speed test against speedtest.net. the speed is carried out every 5 min and results are recorded on csv file. My server is on wire connection to the router and WIFI is turned off. Saturday morning, I went abroad and my server was the only device connected to network for 5 days. 

On the week days speed dropping at around 17 and around midnight going back where should be. 

You can see and download file from my google docs. The file is automatically updated after each test.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WDR6m2HJv3RTMePVn-Oh_8YeEcAwSj4y/view

When you put data on the spreadsheet and draw some graphs the pattern is clearly visible. Just see the screenshot on attached file.

Browsing internet during peak hours is annoyingly slow and streaming from Netflix almost impossible.

Can Vodafone rectify this? They should.

They should indeed. But they won't. They won't admit to throttling speeds at peak times even though this is not mentioned in any contract. Just cancel your direct debit with them. Then you'll soon get the actual help you need.

View more options

@jafazor We're sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your broadband speeds.

We'll be happy to forward this to our Broadband team. So we can do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options

At the risk of speaking too soon Vodafone team seem to have cured my problem. Credit where it's due, their customer service team have really been on it. Had a lady called Carrie ring me regularly and ensured me she was on the case, texts kept me updated .They put an engineer on the case and its problem solved.  Don't know how or why but tonight for the first time I'm at 35MB.  I'll repost if anything changes .Fingers crossed though .

View more options

Currently going through the same. 76mb broadband and less than 20mb in the evenings.

Changed from BT recently which was always 60+

Jafazor, can you tell me how you setup your speedtest logging?

View more options

Not a good experience last night...

Last night download speeds were fluctuating between 18-30mbps

Called Vodafone Broadband support and was on hold for 40mins, so ended up using online chat on my phone to contact phone support who passed me to broadband support.

Anyways... so after asking a range of the usual questions said it was because I wasen't using a filter (even though I explained it was a Openreach MK4 socket with filter built in) and asked to remove the facia and use a filter

So I've done this anyway and will monitor for 24 hours, even though Router connection speed and stats are identicle to before.

There were other parts to the conversation that doesn't give me much faith with Vodafone. I cut my teath running and ISP and work in this industy and they're simply oversubscribed.

Guess you get what you pay for...

View more options

I am experiencing poor speeds during evening peak times too. Basically from about 6 to 7pm each evening the speeds I experience (especially single threaded downloads) drops dramatically. By morning this resolves itself with no changes made at my end.

This has been going on for some time and there are no issues with my line (I have had this confirmed by an OpenReach engineer when they visited my house earlier this week). Its not my router either - I have just changed from the (poor) Vodafone router to a brand new 3rd party one and the sync speed is fine (and it maintains a connection reliably for days on end). 

Basically, it's an issue at Vodafone's end but getting anyone to admit it is impossible. Looks very much like capacity issues / throttling during the evening peak periods to me. Can't be anything else as everything else has been checked! 

A good example of the issue i'm experiencing is the below speedtest taken about 15 minuted ago. It was taken with a LAN cable connected (so not a WiFi issue). 

Good speed when testing multithreaded - massive difference when just single threaded.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1519324433896271755

View more options

@bargibargi It's disappointing to hear you're having problems with your broadband speeds. Please keep us updated and let us know if there's any improvement tomorrow.

If you're still experiencing issues, we'll be happy to forward your query to our Broadband team for further investigation. 

View more options

Very, very dissapointing, both service and support.

Service

8pm vs 8am

Link to results of last 2 days, the trend is completly obvious

http://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=350f2f7cee8709c7929d4689155d598d

Support

I've edited other bits from this to show it's mainly just stalling tacktics. Simply changing the filter is not going to make a difference. The above results show it's fine during the day.

I'm going to send a complaint tomorrow

Vodafone Support: 

Please remove the face-plate of your Master socket 
The faceplate can be removed by pinching the sides of the socket.  Please take care when removing the front. If you pull this part off with too much force, you may disconnect the extension sockets that are connected to it. The test socket for this model is in the middle once the front plate is removed

Vodafone Support: 

and then you have to connect the micro-filter directly into the test socket 

Vodafone Support: 

and then this will fix this issue for you 

Vodafone Support: 

This needs to be monitored for the next 24 hours and trust me on this that you will have the same speed in night as well as it was promised to you 

Me: I have done as you asked. Can you see the connection at your en

Me: Also. How will this improve the speed as its already connected at 77.2mbps?

Vodafone Support: 

This will fix the problem of the night speed :0

Vodafone Support: 

I have just done the test at your request and the results are as follows :
Downstream speed :77.2
Upstream speed :20.0

Vodafone Support: 

It means you will have this speed in night as well now 

Me: So if I do a speed test now it should be above 70mbps?
Vodafone Support: 

It will take some time as I mentioned above as the changes are just been made 

Vodafone Support: 

I received the stats as we are the service providers and we always receive them early from the customer 

Vodafone Support: 

Do not worry at all and trust me on this that you will never contact us back in regards with your speed issue now 

Vodafone Support: 

Yes, surely you can as we are always here for you 

Me: What changes have you made?

Vodafone Support: 

We have made changes in your Router settings and also the tests I was performing for you are rooting towards fixing this speed issue for you 

View more options

@bargibargi Your post pretty much sums up Vodafones customer service, they simply haven't got a clue.

I've just got off a chat with them s i to get the very slow peak time speeds(last night a mighty 0.65mbps) along with a newly delevoped daily PPP session drop and full router reboot every 3 days, im told this is perfectly normal and how broadband works which is a surprise as previously with Plusnet they considered it unlucky if i got a reboot once a month and never experienced a seperate PPP session drop in over 2 years.

There is something fundermentally wrong with Vodafones routers and their backhaul which needs addressing quicky.

View more options

This makes for rather scary reading. My connection is due to go live on Monday and I wondered if there is any geographic pattern with these peak hour slowdowns i.e is it affecting specific exchanges or is nationwide? 

This is what I currently get at night over wifi: 

View more options

I'm disappointed to hear of your speeds and service @bargibargi.

Have you heard back from us in regards to your complaint? 

View more options