Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock the the vodafone router under the new law

gipjon
16: Advanced member

Can a member of the vodafone admin team please let us know how we can unlock the vodafone router so we can use it again under the new law right to repair 

20 REPLIES 20

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the great points made @Anonymous & @HappyNomad! I've raised this with the correct team now and as soon as they let me know the full details, I'll be sure to pass this on 😊

Jayach

@HappyNomad wrote:

@gipjon wrote:

Can a member of the vodafone admin team please let us know how we can unlock the vodafone router so we can use it again under the new law right to repair 

At a guess, (and it is just a guess), ownership of an ISP modem/router, will never actually pass to the service user and thus, the right to repair will remain wholly and exclusively with the supplying ISP.  

But under the WEEE regulations Vodafone should ensure their routers are recycled, and at the moment they do not seem to be doing that. Has anyone been asked to return their router at the end on their contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are differences between recycling, repairing, and repurposing.  Historically Vodafone has asked for the return of Customer Premises Equipment (that's their modem/router), even though the working in the agreements was a bit dodgy (it is still dodgy but in a different way).

Distributor obligations
All distributors must:

• offer free take back on WEEE
  • accept WEEE for free from customers supplied with like-for-like products, regardless of whether this is done in-store, online or by mail order
  • retain a record of all WEEE taken back for at least four years
  • provide customers access to written information on the service provided and what they should do with their WEEE

So those obligations are pretty lightweight and don't include much in the way of publicising the process - if Vodafone doesn't ask for its equipment back it's more that you have a right to demand they take it back!  If you ask them to take it back and they fail to make a reasonable effort to do so, things get very interesting legally!

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/mobile/other/recycling-weee-regulations/

Cynric

.@KeithAlger I left VF earlier this year and not a word from them about taking the THG3000 doorstop back.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

@Cynric wrote:

.@KeithAlger I left VF earlier this year and not a word from them about taking the THG3000 doorstop back.

Vodafone say:  

Broadband router return – If you have a Home Broadband router that needs returning to us, please get in touch by calling 08080 034 515, free from all UK landlines and mobiles or 191 from a Vodafone mobile.

Presumably, Vodafone have no objection to an ex subscriber retaining the router  (for use as a paperweight or doorstop) but also presumably, the ex subscriber then assumes responsibility for its appropriate disposal. (Perhaps by calling Vodafone to arrange the eventual return of the router to them).

gipjon

2 Years later and still waiting for an answer from vodafone 

HappyNomad

@gipjon wrote:

2 Years later and still waiting for an answer from vodafone 

Are you still with Vodafone?  
I now have three of their routers in the house - two THG3000 and one of the earlier HHG2500 - all 'retired' and long since confined to the box marked 'Redundant Routers That Nobody wants'.

I probably need to keep the newer THG3000 (for No-Help-At-All Desk purposes) but now you have reminded me, the other two need to be responsibly got shot of (local amenity point small electricals skip). 

gipjon

No I left vodafone same as every one else .to be honest I could not stand talking to someone reading a script And telling you that  you have to wait 72 hours befor you can talk to someone on tech 2 just to report to openreach that your phoneline is totally dead. Plus I  have got 4 thg3000 seem a shame not to be able to use them again . 

HappyNomad

@gipjon wrote:

No I left vodafone same as every one else.

I'm still with Vodafone and still on what used to be called superfast 2 (67gbs FTTC).   No problems with the service to date although I have long since used my own modem & router.

No option to go FTTP yet.  Our street has just been cabled by Virgin Media but I'd rather be without broadband than be with them.  😮

gipjon

we have Virgin Media on the street. I did look into it but I'm not too fond of the upload speed never mind the price lol