Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using ASUS Router to replace THG3000 on Superfast 2 connection

HDD23
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi everyone. First time poster.

My friend has Superfast 2 Broadband and the Vodafone provided THG3000 Router. The wi-fi coverage is awful.

I simply want to recommend an ASUS Router to replace this but none are on the so-called Openreach supported list.

What are the requirements? Will any ASUS router work?

The prefixes on ASUS confuse me GT, RT & DSL for example.

Grateful for any help and happy to provide any further info needed.

Chris

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

First things first, on Superfast 2 you need a modem+router, now that can be a single unit or two separate units.  The single box devices from Asus are identified by the prefix "DSL".  They are however problematic - the Asus DSL-AC68U is a 7-year-old design and it's xDSL chipset is not the best.  Then there's the DSL-AC88U, which has a nice DSL chipset, but the WiFi has unexplained problems.

So with the separate routers, the standard devices get the RT prefix and the gaming devices get the GT prefix.  In order to get the most out of a GT prefixed device, you need gamer-oriented network cards in your devices, and while they have higher speeds close to the router, the overall range is usually shorter!

If it's range that you want then the best option from Asus is probably the RT-AC86U, but it's only "AC"/WiFi-5 which is potentially problematic (speed not compatibility) if you are likely to start getting WiFi-6 devices in the near future.

Should you go down the two box route then the cheap way to get a modem is to look at the Huawei HG612 V3B off ebay, but remember you'll need your internet username and password, and set the VLAN settings on the modem too!

Hi Keith. Cheers for the prompt response.

On here https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/How-to-Set-up-a-third-party-router-with-voda... the "asus ac68u" is mentioned buty not with any prefix - hence my confusion.

"Then there's the DSL-AC88U, which has a nice DSL chipset, but the WiFi has unexplained problems." - really?! I have the RT-AC87U on Virgin Media with the modem in MODEM Mode and the wi-fi rocks.

Hmmm, food for thought.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Chris

I have been using an ASUS DSL-AC88U AC3100 Wi-Fi Gigabit Modem Router since October 2018 without any issues.

The last Firmware upgrade was December 2018.

From memory I used the wizard to set it up specifying BT as the service provider.

Anonymous
Not applicable

William, glad to hear that you have the DSL-AC88U set up.  I tested one of these shortly after their release, and then a second one sometime later, both of which had the same fault where the fastest anything could connect to them was at 150Mbps on the 2.4MHz band, and connections on the 5GHz were slower, meaning my RT-AC68U and even the Vodafone router were able to outperform it! From what I and the company I tested them for could gather the slow WiFi on the DSL-AC88U was a common issue (the broadband sync was fine).  It certainly wasn't something that is an issue with the none DSL version.

You may be right but TBH we usually have upwards of 20 devices connected wirelessly and wired and have never experienced any issues. Most gaming and streaming devices are wired connection so no problems there.

My biggest problems with the Vodafone supplied equipment (white model) were when multiple devices were connected. 

Vodafone's response was that it was not designed to support multiple devices.

I had a Netgear D7000 V1 for a couple of years but that died (wireless issues) and the ASUS has been doing the job ever since.

In a moment of weakness I renewed my contract with VF for Superfast 2 and just received the THG3000 Hub. Would you recommend using it or sticking with my ZyXel VMG3925?

Thanks

Derek

Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably depends on which version of the ZyXel VMG3925 you have as early versions are not too different to the Hauwei HHG2500/VOX 2.5.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it!

Hi guys. Thanks for all the help. My mate seems to have dropped a clanger and bought the RT-AC88U instead of the DSL-AC88U as I'd recommended. He'd mentioned in passing that he had not seen any improvement which is the only reason I found out. . . . . Bizarrely, he's also simply plugged it in and left his original Vodafone ISP equipment plugged in as well! Is this a situation which can be salvaged? Using RT-AC88U that is . . . . . . 

UPDATE: I've now just found out that he has the HHG2500 ! Aaaargh! (My bad for the confusion as I have 2 friends who wish to change their ISP Vodafone Router)

1. The pic as attached earlier was of Mate #1 who has the THG3000 and who is yet to buy the DSL-AC88U.
  2. Mate #2 has bought the RT-AC88U and has wi-fi issues and it also turns out has the HHG2500 

Any advise on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

The cheap way to fix this is to get an unlocked Huawei HG612 V3b off eBay.  Once upon a time, these used to go for £5 a pop, but the prices are now rising.  The advantage of this device is that it has two ethernet ports, so you can get into its settings very easily - provided you know what you are doing!

The other way to go is the Draytek Vigor 130 (or 166 v2 if you can find it at a sensible price).

whichever he goes for, he'll also need to get his dsl username and password and set them up in the router.

*Unless there has been a firmware revision the DSL-AC88u can be problematic - I have access to two of these, neither of which will connect over WiFi at more than 150Mbps - The RT-AC88u works flawlessly!  Your friend who has yet to upgrade might want to consider the DSL-AX82u!

ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Internet Connection.png

I've blanked the DNS servers as these point to my Raspberry Pi PiHole servers, and I didn't want to cause any confusion.  My Vigor 130 is set up with range 192.168.5.0/24 which is uncommon, so that will probably need changing too!

**Update the thread when things have moved on....