main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Using the BT home hub 6 router with Vodafone?

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

Hi, I recently left BT from vodafone but I've noticed the signal strength of the Vodafone router is quite poor so I was wondering if I could use my old home hub 6 to improve this? I've received my username and password from vodafone but the BT router is locked to BT so I entered it into DNS settings because I didn't know where else to put it. Can anyone help me out with this? I also have two powerline adapters so I could also connect the two routers via Ethernet. But really I have no idea what I'm doing and I'd appreciate it if anyone could help with this. Thanks.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BT smart hub can't be used on anything other than the BT (or their subsidiaries) network. Plenty of other routers out there for a reasonable price that will do the job though. Shame the VF router isn't up to the job as it has some good features, has a small footprint and is easy to use.

Mark

View solution in original position

View more options
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BT smart hub can't be used on anything other than the BT (or their subsidiaries) network. Plenty of other routers out there for a reasonable price that will do the job though. Shame the VF router isn't up to the job as it has some good features, has a small footprint and is easy to use.

Mark

View solution in original position

View more options

Thank you. Do you think it would be worth investing in a wifi range booster like this to help with the poor signal?

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

A friend of mine had something similar, but could never set it up. I have a Sky wireless extender, which does the job for me out into the garden.

View more options
16: Advanced member

There's a lot wrong with the Vodafone Router, but it's signal strength is not that much less than the best routers out there (no matter what BT would have you bleive).

As for using the TP-Link range N300 range extender that you linked to, IMHO that PARTICULAR option would cause more problems than it solved.  The Vodafone router set up by default often only connects at 75Mbps even though it is capable of much more.  The problem with using such a range extender is that it pretty much cuts your WiFi throughput by half (half of all your WiFi bandwidth being used by the router and extender talking to each other - on the 2.4GHz band). So a device that uses the 5GHz band would be more useful - if needed at all!

View more options
Highlighted
13: Advanced Member

@TobySH wrote:

Hi, I recently left BT from vodafone but I've noticed the signal strength of the Vodafone router is quite poor so I was wondering if I could use my old home hub 6 to improve this?

You could use the BT Hub 6 for wifi by following these instructions. May connect OK via powerline adapters. Just depends on your luck.

View more options

Tried it but it didn't work at all. BT router was flashing pink and while it was connected the the vodafone router, the internet didn't work

View more options

I've had it for a week now and never suffered any loading images or buffering videos at all when I had BT for 2 years. And as for the vodafone router connecting at 75mbps, is there settings I could change to increase it? Also, for the TP link range extender, wouldn't the 5ghz version also half the bandwidth just as the one I linked would? Thanks

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@TobySH wrote:

Tried it but it didn't work at all. BT router was flashing pink and while it was connected the the vodafone router, the internet didn't work

The indicator lights on the BT router might well not be relevant. If a device connected to the BT Hub 6 can not connect to the Internet or the Vodafone router web management page then a likley explanation is that the instructions have not been followed correctly.

View more options

With the 2.4GHz band stuck at 75Mbps (or less) (you need to check with your devices just to make sure) you need to set the 2.4GHz channel specifically, and then increase the bandwidth to 40MHz.  Doing that will potentially give you 150Mbps on most devices.  You do have to check though as there are some older devices that may not work with a 40MHz bandwidth.

You are correct regards using the 5GHz still reducing the available data rate by half, but the 5GHz band on the router as far as I could tell functioned as it's supposed to, and so it's easy to get much higher data rates - we had multiple devices connecting at 866Mbps!

Personally I actually use a TP-Link 1GB powerline based access point that gives 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 433Mbps on the 5GHz band.  This is limited by the actual data rate over the powerline, but it's still in excess of 500Mbps!

View more options

I'm on the super fast 2 plan which is the highest I thought and I thought it only stays around 76mbps? I never thought it would be possible to get around 866?

And also about the ghz band, was that a typo or do I actually set it to 2.4GHz instead of 5?

Thanks

View more options

That is a sync speed between a device on local network and the modem router, it's not the throughput available through the modem from the internet, or even the sync speed between the modem and the local cabinet.  But it is useful if you have local traffic and multiple devices - it helps keep data flowing! 

Regards the 2.4GHz part of your question I'm not quite sure what you are are refering to, but here goes:

In "Expert mode" you can can set various channels for your WiFi, one in the 2.4GHz band and one in the 5GHz band - simultaneously.  There seems to be a bug in the coding for the 2.4GHz band that means in order to get the highest speeds possible you need to pick a specific WiFi channel (from 1 to 13) and then pick the bandwidth used to 40MHz (from 20, 40, 20/40).

View more options

I tried to do this but never got anything above 70mbps

View more options

Tried it twice and followed the instructions very carefully and it doesn't seem to work

View more options

It may just be luck then.  Before giving up on the Vodafone modem router, I could get most 2.4GHz devices syncing to the WiFi at 135-150Mbps after a lot of playing around.  So our 2.4GHz WiFi was iffy in the extreme.  Now I've seen plenty of posts here about the 5GHz being iffy, but that was always rock solid for us, so maybe it's a QC thing.

I'm now using my old ASUS RT-AC68U with a Vigor 130 modem - and everything pretty well hits it's WiFi specs.  We've one device on the 2.4GHz band syncing with the router at the full 600MBps.  We are limited by the devices we have in regards to the 5GHz band though as we don't have anything that will go above 866Mbps, which even the VodaFone router could match!

View more options
3: Seeker

1- Connect to the BT router with ethernet and login to the admin section usually using your browser http://192.168.1.254

2- Go advanced settings then My Network --> Disable the DHCP as shown in the screenshoot below

Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 21.08.48.png

3-  Connect to VF router using ethernet and access the router page usually http://192.168.1.1 then go to Wifi settings and disable the wifi on the VF router as shown in the screenshoot below and hit apply

Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 21.11.14.png

4- Connect the BT router with ethernet to the VF router whichever port you prefer because it doesn't matter.

5- Connect to the BT router wifi network after disconnecting from the ethernet

Enjoy

P.S: today is my first day with Vodafone, moving from BT and VF router wifi feature is not reliable.

View more options

Keep us updated on this as for many of us it's not just the VF modem/router WiFi that is/was unreliable.  The VF modem/router tends to struggle with anything more than just basic browsing and streaming.

Many of us have also tried using the VF modem/router as an access point (as opposed to using the BTHH6 as the access point), again usually with complications.

View more options
4: Newbie

The Vodafone router wifi is not very good, I have attached a BT hub to mine and use it as a AP. Works well for me, 

View more options

Didn't manage to connect it so now in my 5th month using this dreadful router where I can't get a stable connection in other rooms.

View more options

How exactly did you connect the bt hub?

View more options