main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Using the vodafone router with another ISP?

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
DVS 2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello fellow Vodafone users,

I have only recently joined Vodafone Broadband for a new property I am moving to and like many already had my own router/modem setup that I am happy with. Vodafone support were very helpful in giving me my username/password for use with a 3rd party router, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

However, my aim was to then use the router they sent me as a replacement in the property I am moving from as there is still someone living there. The trouble is I cannot see anywhere on the router software where you would enter ISP connection details. Does this mean their routers are locked to Vodafone or am I missing something? Anyone had any luck using this router with another ISP?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
13: Advanced Member

You probably need to keep the Vodafone router at the new prpoerty in case you have line problems and have to convinve Vodafone support.

The Vodafone router won't work with any ISP that needs a correct connection userid and password.  It just might work with BT.

View more options
9 REPLIES 9

You probably need to keep the Vodafone router at the new prpoerty in case you have line problems and have to convinve Vodafone support.

The Vodafone router won't work with any ISP that needs a correct connection userid and password.  It just might work with BT.

View more options

Tbh that is probably a good idea as I havent tested my current router/modem setup with my Vodafone connection yet. Why do you think it would work with BT btw? I am with PlusNet at my current address, which are an offshoot of BT I believe anyway. Do BT have a similar setup with their router/hubs where the username/password is handled by the ISP and not on the router itself? I have heard stories of people having to 'extract' the username/password from BT devices come to think of it.

Thanks for the reply too

View more options

I don't think that BT actually check that the connection details are corret, though it could be that they just use a standard one.  Plusnet certainly do check.

View more options

So that would mean a) the router wouldnt need anywhere to put login details in and b) if you did have a router where you entered that information then it could be incorrect details. Although Vodafone do seem to assign unique details to each customer since you can request it from them to use in another router. Either way the answer is for most ISPs you can't use a Vodafone router as there is no way to specifiy ISP connection details?

View more options
15: Advanced member

When the Vodafone router connects it first uses a special account handshake that enables it to pass it's serial number to Vodafone's servers, and in return it recieves the user name and password.  So although you can't set it, the router does hold the username and password.  I believe that for security purposes if the router does not connect to the Vodafone servers for an extended period, that it's serial number is removed from the database.

View more options

Well that does make sense at least, thank you for the technical answer too, which does definately mean then it would only work for Vodafone ISP and no other. Thank you both for clearing that up

View more options

Hi, you should probably hang on to it since VF will most likely require you to return it when you leave / cancel the service.

Hopefully your service with your own router will be satisfactory, unlike many posting on this forum.

View more options
4: Newbie

Disappointing to read that the VF router isn't likely to work with BT as that's who we're with from next week. Because, contrary to almost every opinion here, we found the VF gave better coverage than BT's hub,  wherever it was placed.

Umpteen devices connecting, mostly via 2.4gHz wi-fi and no issues at all. (Apart from the USB stick it wiped. ) We even bought a 3rd party router before VF's arrived, having heard how awful it was. 

View more options
15: Advanced member

As supplied the "standard" Vodafone HHG2500 performs quite oddly on it's 2.4GHz band, projecting a strong "cone-shaped" signal to it's front and back, with a spike of good signal at 90 degrees (around its edges).  On top of that data-rate seems to drop off more quickly than signal-strength (the router reception may be worse than it's broadcast).

Mac on here does have some photos of the internals from when the casing on his fell apart (I've only ever managed to stress mine to the point where the sticky labels come loose).  Those photos show that the circuit board has the potential for plug-in antennas (unused).

Then there is the fact that the 2.4GHz WiFi seems to be crippled - the chipset used is capable and usually used to deliver twice the speed it does on this device (actually it's capable of delivering 4x in a clean WiFi environment but it's almost impossible to find such a place nowadays).

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I'm really surprised that your VF router is better than what it's replaced!

View more options