main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Other broadband queries

VPN throttling

2: Seeker

Does Vodafone throttle VPN connections?

i (ad-hoc) work from home once or twice a month and have noticed my connection grind to a halt (less than 500k on an 80mb line) when I use the corporate VPN to my employer. 
Connnection speeds are fine as soon as I disconnect. 
it's not an issue with the Corp vpn network as other users not experiencing same. 

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Hey @Mwalmsley2020 - we've had customers get in touch with similar issues in the past. Please make sure that your content controls are turned off, as this has been known to cause issues. Give that a try and let us know how you get on. If you're still having trouble, we'll be happy to take a closer look into this for you. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi TJ

Thanks for the reply. 
Content controls are off (and have been ever since I've had the service)

So that doesn't appear to be the issue. 
I need to get to the bottom of it as it's making working from home impossible, which, when my office is over 30 miles away is quite an issue. 

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

Just a query as to how are you initiating the VPN?  There are lots of users here who've tried to use the "built in" but unsupported VPN on the router and never even been able to get a connection.  I'd hope that if you don't need to share local resources other than the one laptop/computer you've set up the VPN on one that device via its own connection settings - in which case it should work....

View more options
Highlighted

Hi Keith

its an outbound VPN to a corporate network I'm using, not inbound to my network. 
I'm using Cisco vpn connection client on one machine only. 

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

In which case you'd expect it (quite rightly) to "just work".  

View more options
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Are you using a VPN over a wired or a wireless connection @Mwalmsley2020? If you're using this over a wireless connection, I know this may sound silly, can you please try and connect via an Ethernet cable to see if your speed improves please? 

Also can you try using a public DNS server such as 8.8.8.8 to see if this helps as well. Give this a go and let us know how you get on 😊 

View more options