main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Very slow broadband speed on wi-fi

2: Seeker

Tested the line and wired is perfect but let's be honest who wants to use a wired connection these days? I know when I was with BT, I usually had to connect to 5ghz to get the best speeds but the 2ghz wasn't as bad as what I am getting now. I am lucky if I get over 1.9 mbps.
I spoke to support and they suggest changing the channels. I have done this but been waiting over half an hour and speeds haven't changed at all. In fact maybe even slow.

I have also set it up so 5ghz and 2ghz are split. Is worth creating separate SSID and only connecting to 5ghz?

It's a real shame that the speeds are so slow compared to BT and PlusNet.

I am assuming as the line is fine, it isn't the ISPs responsibility to provide a good wi-fi connection?

Any ideas?

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
17: Community Champion

Hey @Humanracer25

I did the same with my Home Hub 6 in relation to splitting the frequencies.

This worked for me because some devices prefer one frequency over the other. 

Since I did this my Wi-Fi Speeds have been very good. 

I looked into their T&C's at the time and I suggest you take a peek into Vodafones in regards to speeds etc. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Still no improvement and I have tried splitting the channels. I don't have time every night to change channel after channel. I tried the google speed test and it is saying 0.91 mbps.

I have only been with Vodafone for a week so I think I will cancel as I am within my 14 days.

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties connecting to our broadband service @Humanracer25. We advise your speeds can fluctuate in the first 7-10 days whilst your connections settles. If you're still experiencing problems after this time, please contact us by using the link in this private message and we'll be happy to take a look.

View more options

Hi

Odd. When I used the Google speed test last night it said 0.91. Now it says 35 mbps. Yet when I tried it again a minute later it now says 3 mbps. What is happening?

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=0uUHW_LUGs2VsAfEyaWYCw&q=speed+test&oq=speed+test&gs_l=ps...

View more options
13: Advanced Member

You dont' say whether those speeds are by a wired or your poor wifi connection.

If you run AcrylicWifi on a W10 laptop you should be able to see what other wifi networks you may be competing with, and what might be the best channel to use.

View more options

I have done everything you have Humanracer25 and I have two SIDS broadcastings 2.4GHz and the faster 5GHz.  Also swapped channels and amazing Vodafone Support tried to pin it on the Openreach socket was at fault until I challenged as I had already run a test using the socket inside!  Your line will be fine, like mine, but the bottome line is the Vodafone Connect router cannot cope with providing a solid WiFi connection.  Comments on ThinkBroadband.com and other quality review/techie sites all pointing to the router, not the Openreach network in most cases:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/vodafone

I've been on both BT and PlusNet FTTC, transferring to Vodafone from gold old fashioned broadband from Yorkshire. Interesting that if you compared these three ISP's, PlusNet is higher than Vodafone or BT for Satisfaction, Reliability and Customer Service:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/compare?isp_7=1&isp_77=1&isp_104=1&commit=Compare

My speed is all over the place, especially on an evening/weekend.  I can see me returning to PlusNet which is around the same price as Vodafone, however if I want quality and reliability Zen Internet ticks all the boxes, but at a higher price, but scores exceptionally high on ThinkBroadband, but importantly Trustpilot.

Good Luck. I hope you get a resolution one way or the other.  Vodafone started off with good intentions etc, but it's becoming noticeable that it cannot cope.  Don't believe the sync speed on the app either.  Totally impossible ping speed, upload/download speeds quoted by it in comparison to what you can expect to receive over the Openreach network which at the end of the day is what is used from the cabinet to your home.

Regards

David

View more options
View more options

HI @Humanracer25 we're more than happy to look into your dropping connection. So we can view your account, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch. 

View more options