main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Vodafone Connect Router DDNS query

4: Newbie

Hi,

I have received my Connect router and I'm waiting for my activation date.

Currently on my existing router and broadband provider I use DDNS.

I see the Vodafone connect router does have a DDNS setting option but only lists certain DDNS providers.. My existing provider is not listed.

Does that mean I can't use my existong provider for DDNS and will need to sign up with one of thse listed in the router such as dyndns.org ?

Thanks

View more options
17 REPLIES 17
12: Established

You don't have to use the router to update your DDNS provider. I'd agree using the router is probably the easiest option but there are other ways to achieve it.

The fact you are using it would imply there is a computer in your network which is on 24/7, install an update client on that and you are all set.

All DDNS companies I know of either give you a client or suggest one to use such as ddclient. 

View more options
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I wanted to use the ddns on the router because there any many things within my home LAN that currently access remotely such as by CCTV system ( which I dont believe has a ddns client) and my NAS (which I probably can load a ddns client on to).

However I'm trying yo keep it simple I.E. minimal change.
It's my router I'm swapping out so I wanted to know if I can keep my current ddns provider or does it only support those listed.

Thanks.
View more options
1: Seeker
Is there no way to use an existing router that is capable of fibre bb? Many folk use 3rd party routers that are capable of all the extra settings that the provided ones don't/won't do.
View more options
Hi thanks. I guess that's a question for the forum too.

Can other routers be used with Vodafone Connect BB ?
I can't see any authentication settings like username or password for the WAN connection so I guess it must use some other methodology for authentication. Is that tied to the specific router supplied ?
View more options
17: Community Champion

Vodafone will not let customers use any other routers with their service. They won't give out user names and passwords.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Thank you for that confirmation.

I did assume that to be the case but wasn't sure.

Cheers

View more options

I understand you applying the KISS methodology but you have a NAS and personally I would use the NAS DDNS every time over the router. 

Once set you can swap the router as often as you want (theoretically at least unless Vodafone change their rules) and nothing will change.

Another reason, most routers are over featured and under powered. Lighten the load a little.

View more options
Thanks. I had envisaged that using ddns on the NAS would give me remote access to that ok but not to other devices on the LAN such as the CCTV. Whereas using ddns on the router ie the gateway to the WAN that allows me to access all devices currently. U just use port forwarding rules on the router to select the service I require on different hosts on the LAN.

I could understand that the router knows the WAN interface address so was able to run the ddns client but I guess the NAS can do the same. It doesn't need to know the WAN interface address, the ddns provider would see the ddns client come in from that WAN interface address a nd would update it's records accordingly.

I'll have a play with that before my services goes live on VF.

Ta
View more options
3: Seeker

I just spoke to a technical guy called Gary regarding voda router not passing ip address change to the ddns area of the router ( under advanced, additional settings on the router),and he said no one at vodafone can help regarding this issue as i have asked all the technical guys here and none of us even the most technical ones dont understand what DDNS is our job is to make sure peoples internet works and thats it

He said he would like to be able to help but no one there could or would be able to

View more options

Whilst it may seem the most convenient way of updating DDNS, routers are often the worst equipment to use. Most are cheap and underpowered, restrictive in who you can use and, like you've experienced, lots of them have bugs. As the only way to fix any bugs is a firmware upgrade you will always be waiting a long time. I'm also not that surprised the person you spoke to didn't know what you were on about.

Unless you have experience of DDNS it's highly unlikely anyone would.  This is why, in my opinion, it's vital people can choose their own equipment to enable them to make their own network work.

Personally though I'd always go with another piece of equipment to update the DDNS, all NAS units will have their own/third party DDNS software and any server of whatever flavour, be it Linux, Windows or other, have update clients and they are all far more flexible and reliable than routers. 

View more options
5: Helper

Had the same issue, wanted to connected remotely to cctv, took a couple of hours to fathom, was originally using duckdns and couldn't get the Vodafone Connect router to play, it just said ERROR with settings that worked ok in another router. I registered a new DDNS name on No-IP, then for the router I used the same email & password that I'd logged onto No-IP in the approriate fields, my new DDNS Domain name then selected No-IP from the dropdown, configured Port forwarding and everything is working. Not sure about the No-IP’s Dynamic Update Client at the moment but will check/test this & post on this thread.

View more options

Ok as promised I've checked the Dynamic Update of my IP address, I resynced my line, picked up a new IP address & then checked my No-IP account, good news the new IP address had been updated for my DDNS Domain, I'm running the Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25 router Firmware 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.29 Boot Loader 5.4.8.1.271.1.66. Using TCP on port 9090, port mapped to 18004. Hope this  info helps those who are having issues to move forward.

View more options

Hi thanks for the info,

I used No-IP too in the end.

No issues.

View more options

Good to hear you're working OK

View more options

Anyone found a free DDNS service other than No-Ip that works with the VF connect router, I'm getting fed up with renewing my account every 30 days ?

View more options
13: Advanced Member

I run ddclient to changeip.com on a raspberry pi

My Zyxel router works with www.dtdns.com, also free.

View more options

Thanks for that, I used Duckdns with Plusnet but haven't managed to get that to work with the VF router (yet), have a CCTV box which I've not tried loading a client to (yet) but do have a Pi so think I will look at that option.

View more options