Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Hub & Yale Smart Hub

Martynscs
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I've got a Yale Smart Hub, which manages my alarm.

My issue is, that I have 3 compatible routers for Vodafone, one is the Vodafone supplied one, D-Link 3782 (TalkTalk old router) & a Netgear D6220. 

My issue is these are all set up for Vodafone broadband and all work. However my alarm smart hub goes offline, with all but the D-Link (which is slowly dying).  All are setup with same DNS servers 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 this doesn't change anything either even if i use 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Does anyone know of what settings maybe sending it offline? Yale weren't very helpful and mentioned ports and blaming ISP, but it works with one of the routers.

Forgot to mention it worked flawlessly on the Vodafone router for 8 months, until i swapped to the Netgear at Christmas.

Cheers,

Martyn

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Yale smart hub can be a little bit of a strange beast!  Ours is currently connected to a network switch, which is connected to an Asus router in AP mode, and then to the VOX2.5 VF modem/router - and the Yale Smart Hub fine (even if local streaming is problematic with the VF router)!  The one way to have it not working fine is to do anything that might cause it to sit on a different local IP address than it really wants to!  So don't attempt to set it's IP or reserve a local IP address for it!

The only other thing you can really mess up is in the app, and that's setting the incorrect timezone!

Yeah, it's a bloody nightmare as the app says it's offline, yet it remains as an attached device on all 3 routers. I even had it on a switch and it would only work on the D-link. I've in the process of having a mesh system delivered. so I wanted to get the Vodafone one back in and use a wireless system separately. Yale stated that the hub is fine and online. It can remain online for a few minutes or a few hours. They wouldn't give me the login and password to view the device management page :Sad_face: 

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Martynscs, I'm sorry to hear this hasn't been resolved yet.

So we can narrow the cause for you:

• How are the routers set up in your home?
  • Are you using the routers intermittently or simultaneously?
  • Have you tried using only one router solely with the alarm hub to see if this still times out for you?

Let us know how you get on with the mesh system as this could also resolve the issue for you 😀

Sorry for the delay,

I have one router currently setup, linked to a mesh system. Current router is DSL-3782 this is doing the DHCP, PPPoE, while the mesh system is solely wireless. This is the only router that doesn't time out on the Yale device. The original Vodafone router didn't, but the wireless signal was horrendous and had to be replaced As i couldn't find a suitably priced mesh system.

If i swap in the Vodafone router now it times out on me, no idea why as i have made no setting changes apart from DNS, which i have done across all 3 routers.

If i'm honest, I'm counting down till the end of my contract now, as for all but the first month and a few days after line resets (twice in the month of January), my speed is no where near what i was told i'm getting on super fast 2, and currently i'm at 12mb/s. 

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Martynscs, it sounds like we'll need to take a further look into your account with you. Please click here to speak to an agent via social media and they'll be able to run troubleshooting/diagnostics with you 😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deep diving into the logs for our own Yale Smart Hub, one thing that shows up, is that the hub tends to keep it's old DNS settings and NTP settings even after renewing it's DHCP leases.

As previously mentioned the hub is a strange beast, and the only way to ensure those settings are updated is to remove the power, flip the battery back up switch on the back of the hub (behind the white rubber insert) to the off position.  If that sounds like a design flaw, yup it is!  Leave the hub for a couple of minutes, then flick the battery back up switch on the hub back to the on position and plug the power back in.

It may help, or it may not.  If the "tamper" tone on the hob goes off, just bury it under a couple of cushions as it'll take about 4 hours before it stops!

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. I tried to login into the hub by it’s IP address but the username and password I can’t find anywhere. 

I've plugged it into the mesh lab port and have no issue. So seems you maybe spot on the the hub keeping old settings. 

Excellent. I will let Yale know as it's perfectly logical. Taking power away and switching the battery off gets rid of the caching of DNS. Fixed mine in 10 minutes.