main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Vodafone Router, poor password verification

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi,

Just switched to Vodafone today from Sky and as part of setting up a new router I like to set a strong password foradministrator access. 

So, I login, go to the change password screen, change the password, everyting is fine and dandy, then when I logout and go to log back in I can't..., why...,? becasue the login screen only lets you input a maximumn of 32 characters, and the password I set is longer than this, so now my reward for attempting to increase the security of my system is to get locked out.

It's unbelieveable that we have put up with this kind of thing in 2019, when they were teaching proper input bounds checking on CS courses in the 1970's..., just one line of code.., not even one line....

Worse that the terrible programming, and testing is setting a limit of 32 characters in the first place.., whats wrong with 128, or 1024..., is memory so limited that you have to save every byte ?

(WARNING: No fully on high horse..)

And this forum itself, 20 character maximum length passwortd.. come on..., yes, it would take a long time to brute force a 20 ASCII character password, but its just encouraging people to set weak dictionary passwords, shame on you Vodafone...

Whats my point...?

1) Update your router software to check password length is between 8 and 32 characters when changing.

2) Try and have some consistancy across your estate.. eg. This forum 20 max, the main vodafone.co.uk customer website 30 max, the vodafone router 32 max...

6/10 Must try harder.

View more options
17 REPLIES 17
9: Established

You know, with the Vodafone router (as currently supplied) the password length is likely to be the least of your problems...  

View more options

All routers from ISP's are going to be fairley limited because they are built to a price, designed of offer basic services.

As with my Sky router, and my BT Home Hub before it, I turn everything OFF except setting one DMZ server, and attach it to a proper router/UTM. Use them like this and you will have the reliability of a wood burning stove.., rebooted by Sky hub twice in 4 years...

However, use the WiFi, guest networks, file and printer sharing, DHCP, filtering, firewall etc. etc. and you're just asking too much from a device which is build to a sub $10 price tag.

That said I've had mine less than 24 hours, but have 4 devices connected to my home network in the UK from our hotel in Malta (we are on half term holidays...), warching a HD movie from my NAS and my daughter is watching iPlayer in HD, no issues..

Lesson: You get what you pay for, ISP routers are free,,,, draw your own conclusiuon.

View more options
14: Advanced member

I was thinking the same .wait untill he runs a speed test at 9pm or trys to watch netflixs or stream a program . Got a feeling we are going to see a lot more posts from this nice guy . 

View more options

So why dont you continue to use the bt home hub 

View more options
4: Newbie

When I was with TalkTalk I was sent a DSL-3782 router (locked down with TalkTalk's firmware, of course) that wouldn't accept my no-ip account password because it contained a punctuation mark. At least with TalkTalk there were several defective models of routers to choose from. These ISP-supplied routers are not worthy of going into a Christmas cracker. Everytime I change ISP I have to transfer settings from one router to another only to find that the new router is short of certain features that the old one had. Different people have different needs. There isn't a one size fits all router. It's about time ISPs just give us a good old fashion ethernet connection with a public facing IP address (the HG-612 was a decent modem that did its job well) and let customers get a router of their choosing instead of clogging up the landfill with stuff that people can't use.

View more options

From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like it's possible to get your broadband username and password from Vodafone (correct ?). If this is the case then I'll simply dust off my original BT Openreach VDSL modem, pop in the creds as use that, assuming this is not against Vodafone's T&C's ? (You could not do this on Sky as using another modem was a breach...)

View more options
View more options

Cool,

Went onto chat, got my username and password, I typed 'Thanks :-)' in the chat window and the agent immediatly ended the chat which replaces the conversation (containing my username and password) with a survey screen asking to rate my experience, which was going to be a 10, but dropped to a 1 after the converstation (and my creds) were deleted....

Tries for 10 mins to get back on chat without success (all agents are busy), and when I called the 0800 numbner for home broadband support I got a message saying 'The person you are calling is busy, try again later'...

Again, 6/10, MUST try harder eg. Email the chat log to me (very common practice this....)

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@tescophil.  A BT supplied router will normally only connect to BT or one of the sister services, perhaps unless you are able to flash it with something like Openwrt.  The routers only allow you to have a connection userid used by one of the BT sister services.

View more options
4: Newbie

@machare wrote:

@tescophil.  A BT supplied router will normally only connect to BT or one of the sister services, perhaps unless you are able to flash it with something like Openwrt.  The routers only allow you to have a connection userid used by one of the BT sister services.

But he is going to use an old BT supplied modem. PPPoE negotiation is done from the router behind the modem, not on the modem itself.

View more options

U@tescophil wrote:

Cool,

Went onto chat, got my username and password, I typed 'Thanks :-)' in the chat window and the agent immediatly ended the chat which replaces the conversation (containing my username and password) with a survey screen asking to rate my experience, which was going to be a 10, but dropped to a 1 after the converstation (and my creds) were deleted....

Tries for 10 mins to get back on chat without success (all agents are busy), and when I called the 0800 numbner for home broadband support I got a message saying 'The person you are calling is busy, try again later'...

Again, 6/10, MUST try harder eg. Email the chat log to me (very common practice this....)

With chat, You have to select 'email transcript'.  The facility is there and it works although there is sometimes quite a delay between the end of the chat and the transcript email arriving.

Vodafone have no problem with you using your own modem and router or modem/router. 

View more options

Yes, indeed there is, once I found a magnifying glass I actually found the option... Just in case you missed it as I did, its the small grey envelope at the bottom of the chat window.. how could I have possibly missed that....

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 21.34.46.png

View more options

@tescophil wrote:

Yes, indeed there is, once I found a magnifying glass I actually found the option... Just in case you missed it as I did, its the small grey envelope at the bottom of the chat window.. how could I have possibly missed that....

Strangely enough I didn't miss it.  You did.  What happened to your plan to utilise the 'log burning stove' reliability of the Vodafone router?  

View more options

1) My point, rubbish UI design should be punished, and you should be asked if you want a chat transcript at the start of the session, not by a grey 3x2mm icon (on my screen) on a slightly less grey background,

2) So far my vodafone router is working fine, but I've only put just over 10Gb of traffic through it since it came online Monday. My only frustration is that I'm locked out of the router config until I return from holiday on Sunday, the point of this whiole thread in fact..

3) The vodafone router might be fine long term, but I would prefer to move back to my router having the public IP address assigned on its external interface (using an alternate VSDL modem), rather that sitting on a private IP in the DMZ behind the Vodafone router. Technically this is a double NAT, but using the DMZ mitigates this...., still would be a more elegant solution using the openreach modem

View more options

So, I changed out the vodafone router for my old OpenReach modem on Monday, entered the PPPoE creds supplied on my own router and its been up ever since.

Passed 60Gb of traffic in the last 5 days and can stream Netflix and Prime @4K at the same time without issue. Reading some other posts about poor performance on Netflix and it looks like this is related to a datacentre in London ?

Basically I get the same performance I got on BT and Sky, see no evidence of throtteling (80/20Mbit)

No configuration changes needed to the OpenReach modem (ECI model B-FOCuS Y-2FUb/I  Rev B. 2012 vintage), just plug and play.

View more options

Where abouts are you phil . MY speeds are ok in the daytime im on a 80/20meg line but any download speed at peak time drop to about 5mb 

View more options

I'm in Gloucestershire and don't see any drop in speed, peak times or otherwise... (just lucky I guess ?)

View more options