main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Vodafone Throttling Netflix???

12: Established

I hate to be bring bad news to this forum, but tech 2 support will say "there isn't a problem"  You are syncing fine.  That is is.

Sadly, I've been round this route numerous times.  VF are on a mission to screw customers and/or stick their heads into the sand.

View more options
4: Newbie

Please post back your results from Vodafone support. The issues couldn't be any clearer but so far none of the support/social media/forum staff seem to grasp it as it's not an issue with Consumer Premises Equipment or the BT OpenReach network which are the standard issues they have to deal with.  Avoid the congested routing and you get a decent connection.

Normal Routing and slow Netflix

traceroute to 90.255.254.202 (90.255.254.202), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  vodafone.connect (192.168.1.1)  2.048 ms  3.451 ms  3.530 ms
 2  host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com (212.158.250.33)  11.169 ms  16.967 ms  17.023 ms
 3  63.130.140.122 (63.130.140.122)  16.150 ms  16.573 ms  17.759 ms
 4  * * *

VPN Tunnelling and fast Netflix

traceroute to 90.255.254.202 (90.255.254.202), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
 1  10.8.8.1 (10.8.8.1)  23.765 ms  23.956 ms  24.076 ms
 2  vlan40.bb1.lon7.uk.m247.com (185.195.201.82)  24.143 ms  24.103 ms  24.067 ms
 3  xe-0-1-1-0.core1.lon2.uk.m247.com (77.243.185.216)  25.653 ms  25.608 ms  25.672 ms
 4  eth-11-1-0.pni1.lon2.uk.m247.com (77.243.176.217)  23.993 ms  25.034 ms  25.164 ms
 5  xe-7-3-3-xcr1.lns.cw.net (195.59.77.33)  30.964 ms  31.391 ms  31.407 ms
 6  ae9-xcr1.lsh.cw.net (195.2.25.169)  30.350 ms  29.970 ms  25.320 ms
 7  * * *

IMG_5890.pngNormal ConnectionIMG_5889.pngVPN Connection

View more options
3: Seeker

I will keep you posted with any relevent details I get from support. For now I can confirm as we all suspected, that changing DNS servers has had zero effect on Netflix Download speed. But then we knew that would be the case anyway. Will wait to see how vodafone respond and keep this post updated. Thanks for all the info being posted here. Every little helps as they say. 

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Having the same issues here with Netflix as well. Switched from Plusnet just over a week ago now. Issue started straight away. Initially was told it was to do with the "training period" for the circuit, despite knowing that it wasn't I was patient. Spoke to someone again today and yesterday and they told me the standard "have you got anything else plugged in/try split wifi etc. etc.".

I've tried to be clear with them that it's obvious they're throttling certain traffic but they never acknowledge it and go round and round in circles. Going to cancel and move somewhere else unless by some miracle they resolve this issue.

View more options

Hi @FreshMint - did you get anything useul from the tech team?

View more options

Nope. Just to go to the speedtest site which is pointless. I've not had chance to reply as we have been preoccupied with a bereavement in the family so not top priority. However. My access had become increasingly poor over the past few days so will have to do something as its essential for my work.

View more options

Ah, sorry for your loss, understand that Netlix is probably not a priority at the minute. 

I just contacted Netflix online support and they weren't particulaly helpful but said they hadn't had other compliants from Vodafone customers and they'd pass it on. If anyone has found this thread through google I'd recommend complaining to Netflix UK anyway to raise the profile of the issue.

Dan

View more options

For what it's worth,

This has been typical for me since joining VF broadband (superfast2) on the 8th january

https://i.imgur.com/TCnPJuk.png

(5.3 mbps)

Changed over to BT today (standard fibre) and within 10 mins of getting in from work and plugging in new equipment I got this

https://i.imgur.com/YsW1Fq5.png

(30 mbps)

Something doesn't seem right, somewhere.

View more options
1: Seeker

Just came here to say thank you for this insightful and evidential post. I've been having my own suspicions about throttling of my Netflix since late November and this post combined with my own evidence from the past couple of months has confirmed that Voda appears to be shaping the streaming traffic of some, but not all, customers.

Though not much consolation to others, but my contract expires next month so I've put in a transfer request with VM to switch to their 200mb cable service - I suspect my Netflix 4K will return to normal as soon as I've changed over!

I'll be submitting a complaint with Ofcom, and also reporting this to BBC Watchdog - I encourage others to do the same.

View more options
Administrator

Hi guys, 

I really do appreciate how frustrating this is, but want to reassure you that our engineering teams are looking into this as a priority. We're also working closely with Netflix to understand what are stats are for anyone using our service to stream online.  

To help with the teams investigation, they've asked for your Samknows downstream data graph and Netflix graph for the period of 1 October 2018 to 31 December 2018. If you could post it here, then the team will be able to see it straight away.  (We're aware it's not just Netflix related, but they have more information which is helping us narrow down the issue).  

If anyone's interested in helping support our tech teams with some testing as well, please let me know.

Thanks,

Phil

View more options

I'd be happy to help testing if it sorts out this issue.

View more options

I'd be happy to help. I also have a friend who is not affected: despite the route being almost identical she gets full speed for speed tests and connections where mine are considerably slower. Note however that I've had to use a third party router to resolve other issues which may limit the remote tests you can do.

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevex yours is a great example to be able to compare an affected line vs unaffected.

I'm happy to help too where I can.

I do also use a non-Vodafone router as the supplied one has some issues - I can't see this being an issue to any engineer worth his salt - as far as I can tell the only info they would get is line stats from the router itself - rather than from the cabinet which is what other ISPs seem to be able to do - maybe it was easier to implement the speed guarantee into billing! Ruling out sync speed should be a simple process regardless.

Tracert and speedtests (be that web based testers or simple file downloads etc) are about the only thing we can do - SamKnows whiteboxes kind of automate the process.

View more options

Hi,

Here is my data attached, Sam Knows said 

So as mentioned on Twitter, I would advise you raise this issue with your ISP. Just tell them that you are seeing performance to all Netflix caches on the following IPs:

90.255.254.202,  90.255.254.210,  90.255.254.214, 90.255.254.206

(they are ranked from best to worst - they average 10Mbps to the first one, and 2Mbps to the bottom one).”

View more options

Hey @danschofield

I'm aware that some people appear to be experiencing performance issues with certain IPTV streaming services.

I've raised it with our Tech teams, and we're now looking for fault tickets to be created so we can investigate this further.

If you can kindly repond to this private message we'll get a fault ticket raised.

Blair

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlairI am experiencing the same so please send PM me the link to a fault ticket.

FYI it's not just streaming TV that is the problem as well discussed in these forums - it affects some downloads too - but TV is the one you really notice.

I assume this is linked in with @Phil posts yesterday and you are actually singing from the same song sheet??

View more options
12: Established

I'm hoping that Phil will give us daily updates, so that the customers might feel that something was happening.

Where I work, if something major breaks there is a significant amount of reporting and keeping stakeholders involved with how the fixes are going, etc.

View more options

Thanks Blair I’ll respond to that message and work to get a ticket open as soon as I get chance.

Dan

View more options

Hey @Anonymous, thanks for getting in touch; I've popped you a private message over too with details on how to get in touch. 

View more options
14: Advanced member

TJ can you turn the Vodafone Throttling off on my connection as well 

View more options