cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub bug in web GUI: cannot change wifi settings.

_rik_
4: Newbie

Hi,

Just received the router and went live yesterday at around 8pm.

Before going live, I set the the wifi properly. At 8pm the router was automatically reset by Vodafone (every setting lost).

Now I can see the firmware is different.

Firmware-Version: 19.2.0307-3261013

Productname: Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub

A previous bug has disapperead but there is as new but even more annoying: the router doesn't let me change anything in the wifi settings, not even the password despite the router itself pop up a message saying "you should change the password".

I'm going to work around this problem with the mobile app... let's see what happens....

36 REPLIES 36

_rik_
4: Newbie

Fortunately the phone app was a valid workaround.

Hope for a web GUI fix because it's quite buggy.

See the other bug I've found in 5 minutes of use, here.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Vodafone-wifi-hub-bug-device-name/td-p/26822...

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I would suggest giving the router a factory reset via the GUI. It cured the problems I was having trying to change wifi settings. (Not the wifi channel that is still not available)

Actually this problem came out because of a factory reset and mainly the firmware update. With previous version of the firmware there were other bugs, but not this one, so resetting it's only a waste of time (I've already made a lot of settings).

Having a look at the http response I can see the error "Your changes have not been updated " is presented before  any http/ajax call, so there is something wrong in the JS of the page, not "server"(router) side.

Looking in the browser console I can see tons of warnings about cookies follow: "Cookie “sessionID” will be soon treated as cross-site cookie ... because the scheme does not match" (this is not a problem now but it will be in the nead future because noboby using Firefox will be able to access the router).

I've tested the same operation with Firefox on Windows (I'm working from Linux). Same problem.

I've tested from Windows using Opera and there is no problem with that.

So, I can confirm it's browser related, for sure.

Why Firefox doesn't work with it? Surely not because it's the browser to blame but because it is strict on rules... and this is an error in the web GUI of the router. If I find some time to go further in the analysis I could tell something more accurate about the cause of this bug...

Jayach

I use Firefox as my main browser and have no problems with accessing the router. A factory reset cured my wifi setup problem that sounds exactly like what you are having. You could save your configuration and reload it after the reset if you have made many changes that you don't want to lose.

If a reset really solves the problem it's not a good sign! 😊 Moreover it would be quite spooky if lots of people find themselves with this problem with Firefox and that because of random coincidence that can be solved by a reset.

In any case I went live 2 days ago so I don't want to upset the DSLAM with a second reset.

By the way if find out the problem is present only in Advance mode. Applying in Basic mode has no problem. This could be the difference you see after the factory reset.

So the workaround is simple

Since there is no difference in Wifi->general from Expert to Basic, such settings can be set in Basic mode, then switch back to Expert for the rest of the settings.

Probably there is a bug in the way it validates data in Expert mode.

With a bit of debug I can find the problem, but, what's the purpose? I doub the developer are interested in knowing which line has the problem.

Jayach

Setting it back to advanced mode is the first thing I do after a reset. I don't think one more reset will upset DLM.

There have been other reports of people with problems accessing the router with Firefox, but I have never experienced them. I suspect it's more likely to be extensions they may be running.

I'm a software developer so I have all the browsers and OS of this universe, but my main computer runs on Debian Buster.

I've tested FF ESR and FF Developer on Linux. Both have the same problem.

I've tested an old Firefox ESR from an XP VM. Same problem.

I've tested FF on Win7: same problem.

I've tested FF on Win10: same problem.

No problem with any other browser on any OS. Even crap-Edge it's OK. 😱

FF has this problem even in --safe-mode, so no addons involved.

Having a firmware corruption so that only Firefox has this problem has a chance to happen similar to throwing a box of 100 needles from a skyscraper and see them all landing 1 over the other vertically! 😄

Provided you have the same piece of cr... ehm I mean hardware I have😂 , you could try this with FF

1) Go to Wi-Fi. General tab.

2) Set Basic mode

3) Set Advanced mode

4) Simply toggle "Enable Wi-Fi On/Off button on Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub"

5) Click Apply and see if it really saves the change.

I've received the router 4 days ago so could be another hardware release, different from yours.
NB: Before the firmware upgraded (happend automatically when I went live) this bug was not present.

Firmware version
19.2.0307-3261013-20200812152603-87d129527e2b6c5db641b036118778179b03c3da
Bootloader Version
19.02.1146-0000000-20190110090550-897d2844f012557134a272eb8a8a90f85e9a7a8d
Hardware Type & Version
Vox3.0v

Jayach

O.K. I have the same firmware as you.

I carried out your instructions carefully and after setting the wifi off and pressing apply it said "your settings have been applied" , but it came back still enabled. The same thing happened it basic mode.

Exactly the same thing happened in Chrome.

So yes it doesn't seem to work in either Firefox or Chrome.

I'm posting this before I try with the button on the router as I'll probably loose connection