Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Wifi Hub - Initial impressions

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

I am getting ready to switch over from existing supplier to Vodafone and have just received Vodafone Hub.  My plan is/was to configure prior to the switch over so that DDNS, static IP assignments etc. are all in place ready for switch over.  I currently use my own router (BiPAC 8800NL) and thought I would give the Vodafone supplied router a go.  My initial impressions were quite good with it allowing configuration of DynDNS, preferred DNS servers, NAT etc. and in this respect was way more configurable than the average ISP supplied device. The interface is clunky (like most) and obviously programmed by people without a clue but I managed to find my way around.

One area that had me pulling my hair out is IP address reservation.  For reasons that escape me, each time I added a set of address reservations, it promptly forgot them.  Hit the Apply button, it says "Applied" and 10 minutes later they've disappeared; useless.  For that reason alone, the Vodafone Wifi Hub is being consigned to the rubbish bin.

2 REPLIES 2

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

I may be wrong here but I believe that on switchover and successful authentication of your Vodafone THG3000, a firmware update will be applied that may undo some or all of the changes you made in advance.

The supplied device has a number of shortcomings (as these threads will attest), not least of which is the removal of manual channel changes and poor wifi range.

Vodafone will happily provide you with your username and password so you can use your own kit - they require it to be on the Openreach approved list but you will need to reconnect your Vodafone supplied device if you ever need to use VF Support.

Thanks for the input - that's helpful.  I have obtained my DSL username/password so I can use my own router but wanted to have the vodafone unit ready in case: 1) I have any connection issues and 2) should I need it to obtain support in the event of poor speeds etc.