main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

Vodafone router - no internet connection

Highlighted
3: Seeker

A couple of days ago my originally supplied Vodafone router lost power; no lights when switched on. A different power supply, plug socket, resetting made no difference.

I've got hold of another Vodafone router, but while my devices (laptop, iPhone) "see" it and can connect on wifi / ethernet, the router itself isn't providing an internet connection, even though the green internet light on the top of the router is solid green.  Attempting to create a new connection on my laptop came up with a 651 error (iirc).

I spent some time in a webchat with support yesterday evening, and they took the replacement router serial number, did some stuff their end, then said give it a couple of hours and it'll be fine.  This morning it's still the same - no connection, but solid green light.

Am I missing something obvious (or not so obvious)?  I have my vodafone dsl username and password, but can't see anywhere to enter it.  I'd like to try and solve the problem with this router rather than spend out on a third party one.

Thanks,

Tim

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
14: Advanced member

vodafone does use the serial number on the router to allow that router to connect to the network 

and

it will use a username and password on a third party router. 

you should have just told Vodafone that your router is dead and they will send you a free new router that will have the serial number already programmed on the Vodafone system 

View more options

Thanks for the response.

I did say it was dead in the webchat but didn't get offered a new one, maybe because I said I already had another router.  Webchat did take the serial number of the replacement, before they did some behind the scenes stuff last night.

View more options
14: Advanced member

i could be wrong but my understanding it takes a few minutes to update the system with a new number . 

Vodafone are responsible for any faulty equipment and will be happy to replace it

View more options

Thanks, I just wanted to get back online quickly, as it's pretty important to me and family for work, leisure etc., and found someone with one I could use. 

The SN was taken last night, about half 8, I would have thought it would have updated by now.  Do I have to reset the router, turn it off/on again or anything like that?

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try a reset of the "working" router first - that may cause it to get setup again.

The Vodafone router uses a special protocol (TR-069 if you really want to know) to program the PPPoE username and password when first connected and set up.

They also use it to do firmware updates and the and some diagnostics.

View more options

I'll try that when I get home.  

I have a HG612 modem at home, could I use this to obtain connection?  Is there where I'd use the username (dsl..... AT broadband.vodafone.co.uk) and password that VF have provided?  If so, how do I use that info to connect?

Thanks in advance.

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you could use the HG612 - with some caveats.

In it's default configuration from Openreach the HG612 is in "modem only" or bridged mode. That means it is just doing the job of a modem converting the phone line/VDSL into ethernet. You would traditionally use it with another router where you set the WAN/Internet settings to PPPoE and enter the DSL username and password in there.

In theory it can be configured to be a very basic router with no-WiFi instead of bridged mode.

I run a HG612 with an Asus router just fine (was on Voda but now BT).

View more options

Thanks.  Could I use it as a modem with the "working" VF router doing the wifi bit?  Run an ethernet cable from the HG612 to the WAN port on the VF router?

If so, where / how would I change to PPPoE and enter the DSL username / password?

I have done a bit of reading of other threads on this, but each seems to be for something slightly different.

I know the easiest solution is to get a proper replacement router, though!

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can plug the HG612 (in modem/bridged mode) ethernet port 1 to the (under a sticker) WAN port on the Vodafone router - but the Voda router usually still does the PPPoE authentication with the DSL user/pass - which for you could be the stumbling block because on the Voda router you cannot access the PPPoE user/password settings - they are sent using the TR-069 thing I mentioned previously the first time the router sets up.

In theory you could reconfigure the HG612 to be in modem/router mode - the PPPoE DSL username/pass are then entered into the HG612 - however I'm not sure then if the Voda router WAN port could be used to use it as an access point.

The Voda router has been commented by some to have poor WiFi and can be unstable on the DSL connection so you may wish to use your own HG612 and a router with good WiFi.

I would try first doing a full reset on the Voda router - hopefully that will make it configure the DSL user/pass to yours assuming tech support added the serial number properly.

View more options
12: Established

I'd try phoning the wombles, most likely they made a typo when entering the serial number into their systems.  It took them about a month to register my replacement router #vodafail

View more options