cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone still trying to charge me after switch to Virgin.

nik_lowson
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I started the process to switch to Virgin on the 29th of JUNE, due to waiting for many many months of Vodafone being unable to provide me with even the minimum speed guarantee. 

Virgin said they would deal with informing Vodafone of this switch. 

Vodafone took their payment in July just a couple of days before my Virgin connection went live and that payment covered me with Vodafone until 19th August - during which time I have not used Vodafone at all due to now being a Virgin customer with a live (excellent speed) Virgin connection since 30th July. 

Vodafone are now trying to take a payment that will cover until 19th September.  
Why am I expected to pay for over 7 weeks of service from Vodafone that I am not using?

14 REPLIES 14

Andy

Hi @nik_lowson 👋 With Virgin Media being on a different network to other broadband providers they are unable to arrange cancellation on your behalf, this does need to be arranged directly with ourselves. So that we can look into this further and speak to our cancellations team to make sure your line gets cancelled, could you please contact the team on 03333 040191 where they will be happy to help get this arranged 😊

I can't currently make any phone calls.  I have no house phone and no credit on my mobile and no money to get any, which is why I am so stressed about being charged for more months. 
Someone on the twitter team has replied to me asking for account info though so hopefully I can get some progress. 
Thanks. 

Thanks for letting us know @nik_lowson I completely understand your worry, if you do need to still speak with our cancellations team after speaking to us on Twitter, but don`t have a phone you can make an outbound call on right now, please mention this to them as I would hope we can arrange a call to get you transferred over to them 😊 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@nik_lowson wrote:

Virgin said they would deal with informing Vodafone of this switch. 
Vodafone are now trying to take a payment that will cover until 19th September.  
Why am I expected to pay for over 7 weeks of service from Vodafone that I am not using?

That was poor advice from Virgin. Transfers to/from Virgin are one instance where it is up to the consumer to deal with both companies. All other providers using Openreach infrastructure are handled by the gaining supplier.

Unfortunately if you didn't get agreement from Vodafone that you could leave the contract penalty free you will probably also get an extra charge.

As you had a history of poor service from Vodafone I would suggest raising a complaint and hope they can arrange to waive the fee. Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone

My 18 month contract with vodafone ended back in April 2021 so I shouldn't have to pay a termination fee I believe? 

Virgin only recently got installed in my area which is why I didn't switch sooner, I haven't had the minimum guaranteed speed from vodafone for most of my contract and all they did was give me a small discount... then put the prices up. 

Thanks for the link though, it may prove useful if this guy from twitter is unable to help (He is apparently looking into it, though not holding my breath over this) 

Jayach

If you were out of contract, then no termination fee will be required.

Out of interest, did you transfer your phone number to Virgin or did you get a new one?

Virgin gave me a new phone number, which is what I wanted anyway really since my old one was similar (1 digit swapped around) to my ex's mum which got a bit awkward sometimes! 

Jayach

I asked because had Vodafone had a porting request for the number they would have known you may be moving. As they didn't there is no way they could have known.

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member

@nik_lowson  

Have you given Vodafone the required thirty days notice to terminate your connection yet?  

As you are out of contract there are no early termination fees but you remain liable for monthly (and any odd daily) charges right up to the last day of your thirty days notice to terminate the service.

Sadly, in line with the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up with Vodafone, I believe you will have to pay the monthly bills.  If you haven’t given notice yet, then you’d be well advised to do so because technically, until you are disconnected, the charges will continue.

From T&Cs….

If you want to end the Agreement:
Because you simply want to leave us.
If you’re outside of your minimum period, you can cancel at any time but you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/contentdocuments/vfcon080531.pdf