cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone offer FTTP via Openreach?

JamesBand
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Openreach has now (finally) delivered FTTP to this rural area since Jan 2020 and thus my property shows up as FTTP available on the Openreach website with capability of "up to 1000Mbps".

However, only BT seems to offer FTTP ("Ultrafast Fibre 900") and Vodafone is only showing up with FTTC products for this area (as of June 2020). Right now on the copper line and with the Vodafone Superfast FTTC product, I am getting 2Mbps (and sporadic and unreliable at that). 

As a Vodafone mobile customer (and existing Vodafone broadband customer), I would love to go with Vodafone for FTTP. I can see that Vodafone only seem to offer FTTP via CityFibre (at certain locations), but also see news from various sources that Vodafone will be offering FTTP via Openreach.

When will Vodafone start offering an FTTP product via Openreach, and hopefully offer similar prices to its Gigafast lineup? There are PLENTY of customers who would go with Vodafone if they offered an FTTP product via Openreach. Right now, it seems I would have no choice and would have to go with BT to get the benefits of Full Fibre (of 900Mbps) to the property.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @JamesBand 

It can take a while for other providers to take advantage of Openreach's new infrastructure, but the Website is up to date if you keep checking your postcode here

In regards to the City Fibre, we have selected certain cities for installation and you can also check your postcode along with more information here

View solution in original position

57 REPLIES 57

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@sismjw my postcode is listed there as well yet the checker has never shown it to be available!

I know it's not your fault @Evie it's just such a shame Vodafone are not taking this issue seriously. 

I’m in the same boat. Have had fttp available with BT since December. Open Reach have Vodafone as a supplier. Voda say not available... I speak with open reach and they suggest to speak with Voda and make a  complaint as it is available and so I need to order with them.... 

BT are overpriced but at the moment we are all working from home and I need faster internet sooner rather than later.  

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @sismjw and @Nabs - I'm sorry if we're starting to sound like broken records but at the moment to check if you can get Gigafast/FTTP you can check here and if it's not yet available to you, you can register interest here.

We always looking to improve our network and rollout Gigafast to as many areas as possible and sometimes this can take a bit of time. We appreciate your ongoing patience.

Vodafone is not taking this issue seriously. My postcode is listed on Openreach as well, yet the Vodafone checker is showing that it’s not available.  I was offered fibre by BT, Zen and other providers for over one month now. I keep checking it on Vodafone site every few days. I will be calling Vodafone asking to terminate my contract if it doesn’t come soon.

I have the exact same issue here. When I renewed my contract with VF (summer 2020), they were just laying the optical cables and splitters in the street. VF told me on the phone that it takes a year for Openreach to release the lines to providers other than BT. I renewed at Superfast 2 and was told that once FTTP was available I could upgrade. I register my interest online and and with their 'Gigafast team' on the phone.

Fast Forward to Summer 2021 and suddenly I'm getting flyers from TalkTalk and Sky, offering me 900Mbps FTTH packages. I check my postcode on the VF website, Superfast2 is the best I can get. I call VF and ask why I can't get FTTP, they tell me that Openreach hasn't given them access to the lines. I file a ticket with Openreach to ask what the issue is. Openreach replied with "I’ve looked into your enquiry and your service provider should already be able to place an order for you. If your provider has any issues placing an order ask them to contact us directly." 

Back on the phone to VF, they tell me that they can use the lines, but they are waiting for a system upgrade which should happen October 2021 which will allow them to use the lines. They offered me a lower price, but I would have to renew my contract. 

Considering Vodafone stated they would have "fully implemented [IPv6] by late spring", I don't trust any of their timings. I work from home and work with large video files. I'm frequently saturating my connection. I'm offering to pay vodafone more money for a faster connection but they just can't seem to provide it!

TL;DR VodaFone tell me they are awaiting a 'system update' which will let them use openreach lines. This should have happened by now but here we are.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If you are willing to pay more for the upgrade, why not go with one of the other providers? You'll get IPv6 as well.😀

@Jayach wrote:

If you are willing to pay more for the upgrade, why not go with one of the other providers? You'll get IPv6 as well.😀

That's exactly what I plan on doing as soon as my contract is up. The only thing I'll be missing is a static IP!

Nabs

@luc122c wrote:

@Jayach wrote:

That's exactly what I plan on doing as soon as my contract is up. The only thing I'll be missing is a static IP!

A decent router with DDNS will get around that no bother 😉

I've still got my old FTTC line, was too expensive at the time to terminate the contract early but I've got the 2 running side by side no problems at all. Initially had them load balanced, but have since changed to have the FTTC as a fallback, will likely cancel it and use a 4G phone as a backup connection when the contract comes to an end.

I talked to BT - they offer the compensation if you move to them, promising to cover early termination charge by Vodafone.

I have the same issue, Openreach fibre has been available on my street for 6 months now and Vodafone seems to be the only provider not using it. I am stuck with very low speeds.

I will try contacting BT too to see if they are willing to pay my early termination fee with Vodafone as this is very frustrating and ridiculous.