Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Duplication

Crash0ng
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

We received our new router this week. Let's say the default name was "vodafone1" and I changed it to "house1".

I changed the name and password for the family to find it.

I noticed in the router settings that my wife's phone was on 5ghz and mine on 2.4ghz. I had a look at my mobile and I was connected to the new "house1" wifi but she was on the default "vodafone1"!? (we have the exact same phones). I switched to the "vodafone1" wifi and was then also on 5ghz.

How is this possible for that "vodafone1" to even appear if I changed the wifi name? Why wouldn't the "house1" be the only one showing and on 5ghz as well?

Thanks for reading, look forward to the replies.

4 REPLIES 4

HappyNomad
15: Advanced member

Sounds as though you have split the bands and renamed the 2.4GHz band SSID to House1 but you haven’t renamed the 5.0GHz band, hence the default Vodafone SSID.

If you go into the router interface (I can’t remember if you can do it from the app) you can either re-combine the two bands under a single SSID (say 'House’) or keep them separated under two different SSIDs. ('House1' & 'House2' for example).

If you keep them separate, simply manually connect to both in turn with your wifi devices.  Once each device ‘knows’ the passwords for both, they will connect to the best available without user intervention.

Thanks for the reply, I think I know what you mean but from what I can see, there's no split (see attached photo).

Is this what you were referring to?

Thanks again!

HappyNomad

That is what I was referring to.  I don't have a VF router set up and in use so I can't have a look or a try to reproduce your scenario but was your wife’s phone connected before you changed the default SSID?

Try getting your wife’s phone to 'forget this network’ and then reconnect to 'house1'.

Hi,

Seems to have sorted it after I got her to forget the network. 

Thanks for for the help!