cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi gamestreaming does not work , any solutions?

degoose
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

So recently Microsoft released their xbox gamepass cloud in to full release and i have been trying to get it to work on wifi but no luck. I start up the app on my phone or tablet, the menu loads fine and it connects and i can see all the games i can choose and as soon as i start a game i will get the wifi signal in the app fluctuating up and down and the game sound and picture will stutter and sometimes it will just stay blank. I did previously try the xbox gamepass beta and had the same issue but felt it was probably a beta issue but still seems to be the same. 

I have tried it on 5ghz and 2.4ghz sat right next to the router and no luck, i've tried doing it from a console stream to devices and no luck. Additionally over time i have also tried rainway and steam streaming from my pc to android devices and i get the exact same issue with the app telling my wifi signal is weak even though i'm net to the router. 

I have a 40mb connection which is stable and everything else that goes over wifi that is playing games on pc or xbox/ps4 is fine, youtube is fine, netflix as well but game streaming does not work at all. 

Does anyone have any ideas, does it work for others, are there other settings that need to be changed to get it to work. I'd really like this to work on my wifi and i just have this feeling something within the router is causing the issue. 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @degoose If all the other streaming services work through your WiFi, it seems this may be connected to the game streaming service rather than your internet connection. Do you experience the same problem when using a mobile connection?

I did say that this is the same for all game streaming services. These can go from pc to other devices, from xbox to other devices and just over the cloud. Everything else that requires streaming works. I can try 4g but it isn't that great indoors where i live. 

services i have tried even to my pc are

Geforce Now (from the cloud to my pc, also to my android phone)

Steam (from pc over wifi to Android devices)

Rainway (from pc over wifi to android devices)

Xbox gamepass cloud (over wifi to android devices, also you can stream from your xbox to an android device over wifi and this has the same issue)

Every game streaming service has massive amounts of lag and stutter to it barely even getting passed a menu and this is when i am sat 2 foot from the router.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for confirming that for us @degoose - we can get to the bottom of this for you to help with streaming 🎮

Please can you pop us a message over to us on Facebook or Twitter? We'll then be able to run further tests and troubleshooting to find out what may be causing this for you.

If you include your Community username and a link to your post from your thread, you won't need to write your query out again 👍

Thanks, i've messaged on twitter

Was a solution ever found for this, I have the same issue.

Hey @kieranbrooks19, we'll be happy to help get you back online. Pop us a message through one of our social channels, don't forget to include your Community user name and a link to this thread to save you repeating yourself. 

Can't seem to see a solution in this thread - was anything ever solved outside of it?

I'm having the exact same problem with streaming on the Game Pass app when on my home Vodafone network, but it works fine on other networks (even ones with lower speeds).

Any help would be great.

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

So....   Not on the MS system but I've been playing streamed games at 4K on Stadia since before launch.  100% you cannot do this over WiFi.  On my 50Mbps DSL connection, at 4K the streams can use 45Mbps.  On Wifi it's unusable even if you roll back the resolution to 720p and the local WiFi connection is 1200Mbps AX it fits and starts such that it's completely unplayable!

Using a wired connection it all works pretty well, add in some QOS and it gets better, add in the unidentified secret sauce on some routers and it'll leave you head-scratching as to how it's doing so well!

Thanks for the reply. Thing is I've tested the app on two other Wifi networks just this week and it's worked just fine. It also used to work on on WiFi with my old isp, but not Vodafone. I'm hoping there's some setting somewhere that'll get it going.