cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

Have you split bands, changed the 2.4 or the 5 Ghz ssid's to better identify which band the fire stick is using and then seen if the fire TV stick behaves?

The firestick can't use 5GHz channels above around 52. Its a known thing.
If left to its own devices the Voda router allocates a 5GHz channel the firestick can't use.

The easy fix is to manually allocate the channels. This is what this entire thread is about. It's great that so many folks chip in with different ways to fix the problem, but we've kinda been here before.

Solutions are:

1. Use an out of date Android app downloaded outside of the Google Play ecosystem to manually change the 5GHz channel.

2. Buy a different access point/router

3. Vodafone re-instate the "expert setting" on their own router

You can see which one would make the most sense to a consumer, shirley?

4) are there any restrictions on the 2.4ghz bands?

@Dr_J
 nor (2) enough ready cash to buy a different access point/router. 

You are absolutely right but in decades, I've never seen a decent ISP router. There is always something wrong. With a few quid you can solve forever and "una tantum" (until the day you buy FTTH).

The best way to go is not to use any ISP router. They are ALL rubbish and they will ever be. Hardware-wise they are all good but the sofware is ALWAYS ridiculous. I've been with BT, PS, TT and I can state Vodafone has the worst software EVER despite is the most advanced hardware. The best compromise is the router of TT, pretty useable. However nothing compare with a modem + custom router.

In my case I've not only solved the problem of wifi and many other things, I've also gained +6mbps on the line compared to the Vodafone router thanks to an ebay refurbished HG612 paired with a serious router on the WAN port.

With max 150 £ you can solve forever, and its really peace of mind... in fact, initially I've been on this forum with tons of problems, now I come here once in a while just to say hello! 😄

There's no need to spend hundreds of pounds. If you take the BT Home Hub 5 Type A (or Plusnet Hub One), it's a very capable router (I paid £2.00 for mine :D), install OpenWrt 21.02 on it and you get WPA3 WiFi security out of the box and up-to-date packages. It works with its build in modem (VDSL), and you get Pro features for peanuts. 

Now appears they’ve removed the option from the Vodafone app now too.

Yes the latest version of the app no longer has the ability to change channels.  I too can not change any channels on the router.  I spend hours on the phone with Vodafone.   They got me to do a factory reset.  This made the channels options appear again, but then the router blocked all Internet access.  Eventually the Internet starting working again,  but the channel selection has disappeared again.  Very frustrating and Vodafone just won't acknowledge this is happening.   Im still waiting for a second line call for an open SR ticket and has been more than 72 hours now.  The customer service is terrible. especially when they have somebody who calls you to tell you someone will call you soon.  Is anybody from Vodafone monitoring this?

Have now received a call about the ticket @itoney ? If you're still waiting for a call, our Social Media team will be able to provide you with an update. Find out how to contact the team on Twitter or Facebook here.

vodafone finally called me Friday21st Aug afternoon. the level of customer service has been terrible.  nothing has been resolved still.  I am on the phone again as today I have sync speeds of 46mb but Internet speed of 1mb.  I am connected via WiFi and cable and its exactly the same.  40mins on phone and still not connected to an operator.   

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm glad you received that call @itoney, however it's disappointing to hear you feel this way and have had this experience so far.

We can check your account and monitor any fault tickets through our social media platforms - So if you would like us to see what's happening your speeds don't hesitate to drop us a message