cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

So now that this has also been removed from the app, does anyone know if Vodafone can change a channel for us at their end?  I just don't understand what's going on as I have one device on 5ghz that will only work with a specific channel, so if ever my settings are lost I'm stuffed!

UPDATE - I spoke to Vodafone today 24th of August and asked them why it has disappeared.  I was told that due to coronavirus and more people working from home, they have increased their bandwidth to cope with this and removed the setting.  However, once things settle down very soon the option to change the Wi-fi channel will be reinstated.  How true this is remains to be seen.

Hi  but I think what you have been told is an absolutely rubbish excuse.   Uninstall the new app and search for the app via a different app store.  Search

Vodafone Broadband 4.1.0 APK

You should be able to find the previous version.   Install and you will have channel access.   

I spent 3 hours on their online helpline: first the chatbot, then humans and I even had my request escalated but all the "solutions" didn't work: they made me reset the router, change the DNS twice etc while I was telling them this wouldn't work. They kept telling me that the routers are very smart these days and they know what's best for me (sigh). My problem is that my router goes into channel 13 and I have devices that don't work in such channel. Even I was pointing them to this thread, they were suggesting solutions that would never work. It was very frustrating. I'll try to find an old app and see how it goes.

Mine defaulted to channel 7.

I've worked in IT for the last 15 years on large networks I'm not an expert in WiFi but I've got a fair understanding. This should not happen, on 2.4ghz the unit should only use channels 1,6 or 11 these are the only channels that do not overlap. To my knowledge it shouldn't even use channel 13 I could be wrong but I swear that was reserved for Japan or something like that!

I managed to manually change mine to 6 using the app prior to update after running a program called Inssider that determines the best channel to use with what's around.

I also manually set the 5ghz channel as some devices don't like the higher range within 5ghz.

Instant fix and improvement and it's been fine since. However the fact Vodafone have removed this option is crazy and I just don't understand why. The router clearly isn't very good at being "smart" and picking the right channel.

That rubbish in a previous post someone was told about them reducing bandwidth during the coronavirus. Come off it, couldn't quite believe I read that.

Vodafone support is really really poor and it's a shame because the internet service itself is actually fairly good.

Hi there

Can someone help me please? I'm at my wits end!

I have speeds of 37 but my app is showing low performance across all my connected devices. My work laptop is laggy, my internet buffers and when I called customer care, I was told to change the channels but like everyone else, the option to change the channels isn't there.

How am I supposed to work from home when the performance is so low?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Casey

Hi Casey, 

Ok so the first thing I would do is download a program called InSSider - https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

Setup a free account and let it analyse the channels your router is on, it'll advise you what channel you need to be on. Then I think the only option you have is to download an old APK file for the vodafone software and use an old version of the Android app to change the channel. 

Quite frankly its an absolute nightmare, the other option is you buy a new router and get the login details from Vodafone and use your own equipment which will mean you wont ever have this issue with channels again etc. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Assuming your problem will be fixed by changing channels (big assumption as customer service has no clue) I suggest downloading an old version of the app (check this thread earlier) and change the channel manually. It worked for me but, again, mine was a different problem and had nothing to do with performance issues.

They told me that they could change the channel from their end.  Suppose everything depends on who you speak to there, some know their stuff, unfortunately most don't have a clue.

If you can't download the older APK try calling again & see if they can change it for you.

v 4.1.0 is here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC8IW1HzNwkjus5VWx5iU3hVEjBIA?e=3119jq

Remember to turn off autoupdate in playstore after installing v 4.1.0

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I’m with Apple so not sure I can download an older version of the app? 
Its very frustrating because I have excellent speeds but very low performance - not sure how that works?