cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

Cynric
16: Advanced member

We used to say the same of ICL too 😁

@Jayach

Maybe the older firmware has the channel selector hidden and the developers forgot to set the "hide" class when the media query triggers the css modifications. If that's the case, with such older firmware, try to resize the desktop browser to the size of the android browser. If nothing happens, press F5 once resized. Try also CTRL+F5.

Could also be a matter of User Agent.

With the newer firmware I've tried all the size from 200px to 1920+. No result. I've also tried 20 different User Agent. No useful result.

However in the new firmware there isn't any channel selection field, not even hidden, so there is no chance to see it coming up from nowhere unless server side the router uses the UA to alter the HTML (very low probability because I can see some UA management client side.... by the way I can see they manage some UA except Firefox and maybe it's the reason it's the only browser with problems  in the wifi general tab not allowed to save the settings  https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Vodafone-Wi-Fi-Hub-bug-in-web-GUI-cannot-cha... ).

In the newer firmware I can only see hidden:

- the "Periodic autoscan" (off or selection of minutes) 

- the "Auto mode" with values "All channels" or "Compatibility".

Both are not working. I've tried to force them in any way possibile, via css, via JS, resending changing values in the http post header. The values are received, the nginx return the json success reply, but the router ignore them and goes on on channel 64.

I've also removed the list of channels over 48, even from the list of high channels (so the compatibility and "all channels" were identical),  and sent it back to the router server: no difference, still on channel 64.

So, I think they have disabled the function completely, server side. To override the server side code the only way is to obtain the firmware source code, modify it, compile, upload it back to the router. Too much work for a thing that should be there in the first instance!

The ridiculous thing is that in this firmware you can read this message in the id="auto-compChannel-info"

The Compatibility Mode will find the best channel from 36, 40, 44, and 48.<br>
It is possible to use All Channels Mode or manually configure one of the other available channels using the Channel dropdown.<br>
Note: Not all client devices support channels above 48.<br>
If you're unsure of what these options do, we recommend you maintain the default settings.

Such message is 100% gold, but what they call "default settings" is what they have just removed and I'm just facing the problems such message was talking about! 😣

Jayach

@_rik_

My earlier confusion between desktop and mobile browsers was due to the desktop opening on WiFi general and the mobile version opening directly on WiFi settings. I have no excuse other than stupidity.

So it is actually working in all browsers and the app on both firmwares. I attach pics as proof.

Why it works here I don't know and it can't be something done server side as the router with the older firmware hasn't been online for at least 2 weeks.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

We used to say the same of ICL too 😁

I worked for them (before and after) for 42 years, we said it meant "it comes later".

Cynric

I had the pleasure of using 1903 (George), various 29xx (VME), series 39 (VME), DRS 6000 (SVR4) and all the little DRS ones. Happy memories.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

I had the pleasure of using 1903 (George), various 29xx (VME), series 39 (VME), DRS 6000 (SVR4) and all the little DRS ones. Happy memories.

I came from the English Electric side so LEO's, System 4, 7502's and other comms kit followed by DRS's and Fujitsu servers.

Full of young people here!😄

By the way I was developing software at the time of cp/m on Z80 CPUs...