main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

a question about sync speed

SOLVED
View solved solution
4: Newbie

I am having speed problems. My speed is usually around 7.2 but recently it has changed to as low as 1.9.  Currently it is 4.2. Normally rerestarting the DSL improves the speed, but, this is not happening now. 

Until a couple of days ago I would reset but overnight it would drop again.

I have asked for help via Messenger and they keep asking me to check wifi settings etc.

My question is what does the router syc speed show?

I always believed it was what the route synced to the exchange but the help people dont seem to understand this. Perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks for looking. 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
13: Advanced Member

08080 034 515 for Home Broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles).

Unfortunately the wait will be very long

View solution in original position

View more options
15 REPLIES 15
16: Advanced member

The easiest way to think of Sync speed is that is the raw symbol/data rate.  Your download rates are never going to match that raw rate because of the overheads involved, and so you'll lose 5-10% of that raw rate in real-life usage.

If the figures you've posted are in mbps then I would assume you are on ADSL, and not VDSL like most in here.

View more options

Thanks for the reply.

I am on VDSL FTTC. Every mb counts for me.

I have reset my router (THG3000), resttrted the DSL many times,plugged into the test socket etc.

What I cant understand is that the sync speed doent chage after resets. I stays at 4199 down and 800 up. Previously it always changed.

I was just trying to confirm that the sync on the router is direct from the exchange and nothing to do with internal settings.

Mal

View more options

The sync speed it what the modem negotiates with the cabinet. Those speeds are very low, what does the BT checker say your line should be capable of?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If they are the best speeds you can expect you may be better off on ADSL.

What are your SNR figures?

View more options

Hi Jayach. BT checker is 7.9.

Current snr is 10.9 down 13.3 up.

A few weeks ago I had a stable connection at 8.5 snr 2.9 and 5.3. To me this was high speed. It has always been around 7.2.

Have just tried another router and speeds are the same.

When reconnecting my voda router the speed is still 4199 / 800. Why doesnt it change?  Its as though the connection at the exchange is stuck.

Voda help via messenger say there has been maintainance in the area and it should pick up. 

I am not too happy with their reply but, what can I do? 

Mal

View more options

PS.... As I cant get a decent 4g signal  applied for the goverment USO to improve my connection. Openreach came back with £25k to £30k. I live in suburbia. I see on the forum people moaning about their speeds dropping from 30+mb.... tough 😀

From buffering central.

View more options

@malkpm wrote:

Hi Jayach. BT checker is 7.9.

Current snr is 10.9 down 13.3 up.

A few weeks ago I had a stable connection at 8.5 snr 2.9 and 5.3. To me this was high speed. It has always been around 7.2.

You are obviously quite a way from the cabinet, it looks like DLM has increased your SNR (and therefore lowered your speed) to try to keep the line stable. What did the checker say you could expect on ADSL?

Strangely I found the address checker was more accurate for ADSL figures than the phone number checker so also try that.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

View more options

Hi Jayach... attached 3 files showing the ADSL checker. Was same for phone no and address.

Also a screen shot of my best connection. And this morning stats.

You are correct. I am 1.5km from the cabinet. There are closer cabinets but I cant get it changed.

On a good note my speed has changed this morning. Now 5.2

Thanks  Mal

The fact your sync speeds and SNR are varying so much is definitely indicative of a line fault Have you tried with the modem connected to the test socket?

If you leave it in the test socket for 3 days and contact Vodafone again (personally I would never use the social media channels) then they should test the line and hopefully find a good reason to pass the call to Openreach.

View more options

Thanks for the reply.

I only connect to the test socket.

I will keep a record of the snr

If I do report it as being unstable, which is the best route to get action?

View more options

08080 034 515 for Home Broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles).

Unfortunately the wait will be very long

View solution in original position

View more options

Hi. I have been keeping a note of speeds and snr.

After a long chat a ticket was raised. The result was to send me a new modem.

As you can see from the attached there has been no difference in speeds.

Should I expect a change in speeds? It appears to me that something at the exchange end is not working.

Have tried to contact using the ticket no but cant get through.

What are your thought on the attached?

Thanks

Mal

View more options

It does seem strange that your speeds are so consistent , even after changing the router.

Were any line tests done? Unfortunately you will need to contact them again and report no change.

With that upstream SNR your upload sync should definitely be higher. Maybe they can get Openreach to kick off a DLM reset. (I'm not sure if Vodafone can do it themselves)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...

Edit: I should just mention, in case you weren't aware, the sync speed won't change unless the router is reset/rebooted either by yourself, DLM or one of the SNR's dropping to zero.

View more options

Thank you.

Will continue to try to get through withmy ticket no which isnt recognised!!!!!!   Patience 🙂

View more options

From memory it should be the last 6 digits of your fault reference.

View more options

it is....not recognised....checked and tripple checked

View more options