Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

a question about sync speed

malkpm
4: Newbie

I am having speed problems. My speed is usually around 7.2 but recently it has changed to as low as 1.9.  Currently it is 4.2. Normally rerestarting the DSL improves the speed, but, this is not happening now. 

Until a couple of days ago I would reset but overnight it would drop again.

I have asked for help via Messenger and they keep asking me to check wifi settings etc.

My question is what does the router syc speed show?

I always believed it was what the route synced to the exchange but the help people dont seem to understand this. Perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks for looking. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

08080 034 515 for Home Broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles).

Unfortunately the wait will be very long

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

The easiest way to think of Sync speed is that is the raw symbol/data rate.  Your download rates are never going to match that raw rate because of the overheads involved, and so you'll lose 5-10% of that raw rate in real-life usage.

If the figures you've posted are in mbps then I would assume you are on ADSL, and not VDSL like most in here.

Thanks for the reply.

I am on VDSL FTTC. Every mb counts for me.

I have reset my router (THG3000), resttrted the DSL many times,plugged into the test socket etc.

What I cant understand is that the sync speed doent chage after resets. I stays at 4199 down and 800 up. Previously it always changed.

I was just trying to confirm that the sync on the router is direct from the exchange and nothing to do with internal settings.

Mal

Jayach

The sync speed it what the modem negotiates with the cabinet. Those speeds are very low, what does the BT checker say your line should be capable of?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If they are the best speeds you can expect you may be better off on ADSL.

What are your SNR figures?

Hi Jayach. BT checker is 7.9.

Current snr is 10.9 down 13.3 up.

A few weeks ago I had a stable connection at 8.5 snr 2.9 and 5.3. To me this was high speed. It has always been around 7.2.

Have just tried another router and speeds are the same.

When reconnecting my voda router the speed is still 4199 / 800. Why doesnt it change?  Its as though the connection at the exchange is stuck.

Voda help via messenger say there has been maintainance in the area and it should pick up. 

I am not too happy with their reply but, what can I do? 

Mal

PS.... As I cant get a decent 4g signal  applied for the goverment USO to improve my connection. Openreach came back with £25k to £30k. I live in suburbia. I see on the forum people moaning about their speeds dropping from 30+mb.... tough 😀

From buffering central.

Jayach

@malkpm wrote:

Hi Jayach. BT checker is 7.9.

Current snr is 10.9 down 13.3 up.

A few weeks ago I had a stable connection at 8.5 snr 2.9 and 5.3. To me this was high speed. It has always been around 7.2.

You are obviously quite a way from the cabinet, it looks like DLM has increased your SNR (and therefore lowered your speed) to try to keep the line stable. What did the checker say you could expect on ADSL?

Strangely I found the address checker was more accurate for ADSL figures than the phone number checker so also try that.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Hi Jayach... attached 3 files showing the ADSL checker. Was same for phone no and address.

Also a screen shot of my best connection. And this morning stats.

You are correct. I am 1.5km from the cabinet. There are closer cabinets but I cant get it changed.

On a good note my speed has changed this morning. Now 5.2

Thanks  Mal

Jayach

The fact your sync speeds and SNR are varying so much is definitely indicative of a line fault Have you tried with the modem connected to the test socket?

If you leave it in the test socket for 3 days and contact Vodafone again (personally I would never use the social media channels) then they should test the line and hopefully find a good reason to pass the call to Openreach.

Thanks for the reply.

I only connect to the test socket.

I will keep a record of the snr

If I do report it as being unstable, which is the best route to get action?