Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

broadband router WiFi 2ghz and 5ghz signal disappears

Biggles1998
4: Newbie

Hi, 

I have a Vodafone broadband router and most of my equipment is direct cable connect, but i have seen lately that my WiFi drops and cannot reconnect as it seems it is no longer broadcasting ( cannot be seen on any device ) if I then go into the router stop and then restart both the 5ghz and 2ghz wifi signals after a few minutes we can then see the 2ghz signal but not the 5ghz signal . it seems to be a reoccurring issue ( as most phones auto switch 4g its only noticed on the phone usage, but on the tablets its an issue)..  anyone had the same?  have i got a faulty router ? can i get a replacement?

I have tested on a number of different devices which are 2ghz and 5ghz compatible, and I have ssid broadcasting.

6 REPLIES 6

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Biggles1998, which devices are you testing your connection with? If they're phones, tablets, laptops, etc that move around, this may be why the 2.4Ghz option is what you can see.

As you've mentioned you're experiencing drop outs with your Wi-Fi, please let us know the following:

• How many devices are connected 
  • Where the router is placed (please ensure this isn't next to reflective large surfaces such as windows, mirrors, fish tanks and isn't placed behind large objects or lower than mid-height)
  • Do the dropouts occur at a certain time of the day?
  • What sync speeds are you currently getting when on your Vodafone Broadband app (you can find these speeds on the main page)

HI, 

• How many devices are connected 
    • On average 6 devices connected / up to 15 registered (phones-samsung/iPhones, Laptops (windows 10), iPads and other devices such as printer and LG tv. (other high demand devices are direct cable connected such as desktop PC’s and family TV)
  • Where the router is placed (please ensure this isn't next to reflective large surfaces such as windows, mirrors, fish tanks and isn't placed behind large objects or lower than mid-height)
    • Located in central location to house on table away from obstructions.
  • Do the dropouts occur at a certain time of the day?
    • Random times experienced  - no known commonality to times that it occurs.
  • What sync speeds are you currently getting when on your Vodafone Broadband app (you can find these speeds on the main page)
    • Sync speed indicates 52.6mbps on dashboard.

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant @Biggles1998, thanks for sending this over! From what you've put here, this looks like it may be a router issue. If you'd like to pop our brilliant Social Media team a message here, we can run some more extensive live tests for you and arrange a new router if necessary.

thanks i will try DM via twitter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's most likely happening with the 5GHz signal is that the router is picking a channel that some of your devices can't see.  It's simply down to the different channel groups that 5GHz WiFi uses.  If you can set the WiFi to channel 36, 40, 44, or 48 it'll almost certainly work, however, many users do seem to have issues setting specific channels on the VF router!

Hi thanks for the comment but I’ve used net spot to scan channels and the SSID isn’t picked up.. the router shows 13-9 and then I manually refresh the channel still on 13-9 hey presto it comes back up and broadcasts for a period of time.. and the devices can again see the SSID.. and then randomly it disappears until I reset the WiFi