Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

connecting CCTV for Android mobile app

pbjacko1950
4: Newbie

Changed from Sky to Vodafone and now the CCTV I could watch through my smartphone App doesn't work.So I need to change the settings, firstly in the router to allow the CCTV to connect and relay the video to my phones app. I'm totally lost on how to do this..I can't set up the app to connect because there's nothing coming through the router. I have a COBRA cctv  and it's wired to my router, and the my tv, and the Video recorder, I just haven't been able to figure how and what to set up.. Can anyone help ?

26 REPLIES 26

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Stubbo wrote:

Cheers for the reply @Jayach Could you please try the following steps? Then let me know how you get on! 

1.        Go on to your computer and enter the number 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser, this should take you to the log in page for the router and not a search result page. My router is on 192.168.0.1 because I prefer it that way.
  2.        The password you need to log in is 'vodafone' all lower case My password is not vodafone and never has been.

(otherwise please try the password on your router)

3.      Once logged in, in the top right corner you'll see that it's set to Basic Mode. Click the drop-down and change it to Expert Mode. I only ever use Expert Mode.

What is this supposed to do, there is still no manual for the router!!

just going back to my OP, my problem is I just don't understand what needs to be done..the CCTV camera is wired to the DVR and connected to my TV and works fine. It also has an ethernet cable from the DVR to the Router (formerly Sky now Vodafone). The settings in the CCTV software menu are set out in a handbook and my installer did all the work. He then had to sign into my router and set up something to allow access for the app I have on my phone that allows me to see the CCTV pictures off site.  This is the bit I'm struggling with. What do I have to change/input into the router and where abouts ? I've signed in as 'expert' (haha) and kind of have it in my mind I need to 'port forward' (whatever that means)..but what is that I have to put in and which fields am I looking for...and...where do I get the IP address etc from ? I can't get the installer back because of Covid so I'm stuck. Sorry to sound thick, but I really want to get this working but can't getmy head round what it is I'm doing and which of the myriad of IP addresses and supposed to enter into the router...

Here's a photo from the cctv manual regarding network settings 

And here's the notes for the smart eyes app 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think it might be simpler to talk you through this one @pbjacko1950. Give our Broadband team a call on 03333 041524, reach out to us online, or just pop us a message through one of our social channels and we'll be happy to help.

after hours and hours of 'research'..I've done the following

DVR .assigned an IP address and subnet mask and entered the gateway IP

...have a primary and secondary DNS IP addresses

..and have the client port plus created port 8080 for the web server

..auto port forwarding is off.

System entries include allocating a name for the DVR and checking my user credentials are ok

finally on the DVR i have enabled DDNS with powerDDNS, which provided a domain name.

On the vodafone router I entered data in the IPv4 static mapping field..DVR name,the assigned IP address, TCP/UDP,local port and 8080 for public port.I then manually input into DNS the primary and secondary IP addresses from above, then in DDNS enetered the provider name, domain name (from above),and my user name/password from the DVR. Finally I entered the assigned IP address in the static NAT/DMZ  to get through the firewall, apparently.

I'm not sure I needed to enter all this fields on the router..could be some conflict because when I open the app to view the CCTV remotely it times out, unconnected. I'm using the host domain name from above and username/password as per the router.

This has exhausted me, but still doesn't work.. If I change or delete some of the above options the app just says cannot find server..

any advice is welcome..

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @pbjacko1950 - we're eager to get this connected for you and get to the bottom of what may be causing any issues! So we can take a closer look into this, I'd advise giving us a call on the number provided by @Mark above or dropping us a message on one of our social media channels.

tbh, i've done with this now, it's taken too much of my time trying toget the router to allow the link . In other news my contact guarantee Mb/s has failed to deliver on it's speed promise when I signed up, and I'm informed that I can either cancel the contract or take 15% discount...I'm thinking I'd rather have the speed but this farce with the router is making me think another provider might have a simpler more understandable process. I'll make a decision next week..

Well blow me down...after a rare moment of clarity I've somehow got this to work...at least on my tablet...

amazing...but I suppose if you muddle through long enough you'll stumble across the solution eventually...

However...despite having identical set up on my mobile phone , this fails to connect...so I'm not done yet.. Am thinking the mobile might be set up slightly differntly to my tablet and I'm trawling through settings to make them the same...but no joy so far...why wouldn't the mobile work when the tablet works perfectly now ?

just as an aside to this issue, the tablet doesn't have a SIM card, it's wifi only..and the phone of course does have a SIM although i'm using wifi to connect, or trying to connect....but it just says 'fail to connect'...