Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

dhd3000 QOS?

nickjett
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi so i contacted vodafone because im interested in getting their fibre. I asked them which router i will recieve if i sign up, they told me it will be dhd3000.

My question is does this router have QOS?..i need to limit some connections that connect to it so they dont hog all of the bandwidth when downloading.

3 REPLIES 3

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

As far as I'm aware there's no QoS, one of the reasons I use my own router.

Vodafone, in their wisdom, have taken a very capable router and dumbed it right down. I personally believe they did this to reduce the number of calls from users who messed up important settings. I'm not saying anything against the service, just saying if you want the best from it get your own router :Winking_smiley:

Jayach

The Vodafone router is the THG3000, it doesn't have QOS settings.

You say you want their fibre, but FTTC or FTTP?

If you are getting the FTTP with a decent speed, the bandwidth available means QOS is less important. (that is my opinion, I'm sure someone will disagree with me)

CrimsonLiar

@Jayach wrote:

If you are getting the FTTP with a decent speed, the bandwidth available means QOS is less important. (that is my opinion, I'm sure someone will disagree with me)

With internet traffic it's actually worse than this with QoS being much better at managing your upload speed than your download speed!  On your upload, your router is in charge of how to divvy up the data it sends, but the download data is whatever gets shoved into the pipe for you by the services you connect to!  So unless the router hard limits (through buffering) data it's already received, it's difficult to manage - to top it off TCP works better than UDP (which is often used for streaming).

There's actually a ton of other reason not to use QoS if you can help it,  all from the person who had to temporarily set up Cake QoS earlier today to enable a Stadia controller to work properly..... And has now removed it!