Ask

Solution

router firewall tcp timeout setting?

Robert1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

Vox3.0v

I run a host running an application server listening on port x, and have port forwarding configured to send traffic to that particular host.

When I connect to that servers LAN IP/port from a client on the same LAN - all is well.

If I connect from the same client over the internet to my WAN IP/port - the connection is successful but times out after a few minutes.

Does the router firewall have a particularly aggressive timeout setting for port-forwarded traffic?  I don't see anything obvious in the event logs but can't see why else LAN ---internet--> WAN -> LAN   would not behave the same if it's not the firewall.  Can anybody from vodafone confirm the tcp timeout default or any way to change it?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Robert1. As far as I'm aware we don't have timeout settings in regards to this. I've taken a look for you and this could be the firmware within the router. Please make sure that the router is as up to date as it can be. 

Please try these to see if any help:

1. In the router, changed the wireless channel from 1 to 11 because I detected interference from two other W-Fi networks.
  2. In the computer, manually override the DNS server to use OpenDNS.

Pop us a message if you're still having an issue after this 😀