main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

router setup - LAN, reservation IP address and lease times

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

We have acquired Vodafone business broadband (fibre). We tried to find a good manual but there doesn't seem to be anything like that which is suprising.

I am trying to find good instructions for setting up the following:

1) Assuming that the router can be set up as a DHCP server, I need to set up the LAN starting from 192.168.1.100 and ending in 192.168.1.254.

2) I need to set a a reservation IP address.

3) I need to set a a lease time to one day.

I also need to set up port forwarding but I was able to find the instructions on Vodafone's support page.

I would very much appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
14: Advanced member

Oddly the standard  consumer Vodafone router is capable of doing everything that you are asking about - it's not very often we get the ability to say that!

If you use the dropdown box at the top of the Routers web admin page to select "Expert Mode", you'll find all the settings you are looking for under Settings>IP4 

In there you can set the DHCP range, reserver addresses, and the lease time (is this question a set up?)

Port Forwarding though is under Internet>port management.

*Generally you don't actually need to restrict the address range the DHCP server manages, as you can always just allocate the address specifically and it will work whether it is inside or outside of the managed range (excluding system reserved addresses).

**Be aware that the VF router is a bit useless.  According to tech support on these pages : The twonky server doesn't work (causes crashes). The USB ports are unsupported (heavy usage causes crashes). Using the ethernet ports may cause the router to crash. The SSIDs have to be split, just because they do. The router needs to be kept in a climate controlled environment or it may crash.  Operating any other electrical equipment in your property or neighbouring properties may cause the router to become unstable.  DLNA support is unstable. UPnP support is incomplete.  I'm sure there's more.....

View more options
11 REPLIES 11
13: Advanced Member

What do you mean by a reservation IP address?

It is best to avoid using the Vodafone router. You need to ask Vodafone to tell you your connection userid and password and then use the router of your choice.

View more options

The reservation IP address can be configured on the router to make sure that a device with that IP address (set up on that device) will remain undisturbed.

Why do you say that the Vodafone router should be avoided? Do you mean to say that we cannot set up what we want?

At the moment we have a Netgear router but this is for ADSL not fibre, so we can't use it I take it?

Thank you.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

@mica434 wrote:
Why do you say that the Vodafone router should be avoided? Do you mean to say that we cannot set up what we want?

At the moment we have a Netgear router but this is for ADSL not fibre, so we can't use it I take it?

The Vodafone router is well know to be a poor product as mentioned in many threads on this forum. You can of course try to use it!

It is likely that the router you have been using for ADSL will not work though it is worth checking as many VDSL routers will also do ADSL. 

As a new customer, it is important to make sure that your service does not deteriorate in the evenings because of contention on the backhaul links as you can leave without undue penalty in the first 30 days.

View more options

Oddly the standard  consumer Vodafone router is capable of doing everything that you are asking about - it's not very often we get the ability to say that!

If you use the dropdown box at the top of the Routers web admin page to select "Expert Mode", you'll find all the settings you are looking for under Settings>IP4 

In there you can set the DHCP range, reserver addresses, and the lease time (is this question a set up?)

Port Forwarding though is under Internet>port management.

*Generally you don't actually need to restrict the address range the DHCP server manages, as you can always just allocate the address specifically and it will work whether it is inside or outside of the managed range (excluding system reserved addresses).

**Be aware that the VF router is a bit useless.  According to tech support on these pages : The twonky server doesn't work (causes crashes). The USB ports are unsupported (heavy usage causes crashes). Using the ethernet ports may cause the router to crash. The SSIDs have to be split, just because they do. The router needs to be kept in a climate controlled environment or it may crash.  Operating any other electrical equipment in your property or neighbouring properties may cause the router to become unstable.  DLNA support is unstable. UPnP support is incomplete.  I'm sure there's more.....

View more options

Thank you very much, that's helpful. Yes, I noticed the many bad reviews regarding the router which is worrying.

If it were only up to me I would not have ordered it.

I tried to see images for the settings under IP4 but I can't see anything for reservation - I just hope it will be there.

Thanks again.

View more options

Thank you very much. Yes, I noticed the many bad reviews regarding the router which is worrying.

If it were only up to me I would not have ordered it. Alas, I will have to use it now.

Thanks again.

View more options

Keep in mind that there are people on these boards who believe I'm an appologist for Vodafone

View more options

Well, at least I can hope for a better outcome in our case.

Could I possibly double check on the reservation IP address: is this setting under IPV4 tab too? Or is this somewhere else? Unfortunately I can't find a screenshot of this anywhere.

Thanks.

View more options

The IP reservation is at the bottom of the IPv4 page and is titled "Static DHCP - Home Network" (and is available on the Guest network if used).

View more options
4: Newbie

@KeithAlger wrote:

Hi, I have had the experience with uPnP and the USB ports just as you describe. So why is VF giving customers a modem which has lots of problems? Will there ever be an update of the firmware? 

Mind you, I don't think nor expect Huawei to update these devices since there are one-off and exclusive to VF!

View more options

I'm going to surprise you here!  The router may be built by Huawei for Vodafone, but it appears to be based on a reference design, and licensed from Cisco ADB.  Compared to other devices based on the design the big difference with the Vodafone version apears to be much reduced ventilation on the plastic shells, and almost none existant cooling.

Now there's not any info really from Vodafone about the short commings of the router, and I kinda guess there wouldn't be.  But it's easy to find other devices out there based on pretty much the identical chipset that don't have the issues of the VF device, at the same time as outperforming it.  So, it's impossible to say for sure, but the VF router does appear to be hobbled, the most likey reason being that it appears to have heat dissipation issues.

At the time of it's laumch, I guess that the short commings weren't considered an issue, but even just a couple of years on, the number of smart/streaming devices in many of our homes has increased exponentially!

So if you want a laugh, you unplug your VF router from the phone socket (so as not to trigger DLM at the cabinet), set up the twonky server to run off a drive plugged into one socket, have a remote device read and write large files to another drive plugged into the second socket, set the 2.4GHz WiFi to 40MHz bandwith, and just blitz the thing with as much activity as you possibly can.  After a couple of minutes it should go into a boot loop, and if you leave it doing this long enough, the plastic shells will heat up enough that the glue on the stick-on port covers will go soft and these will start to slide and fall off!

View more options