main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

router wifi keeps disabling itself for 3 or 4 seconds then turns back on

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
12: Established

the router wifi keeps disabling itself for 3 or 4 seconds then turns itself back on , tried diffence channels etc tried spilt wifi etc , the Wi-Fi schedule is turned off 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

after running two vodafone router same issues ,

update

we changed the router for a technicolour router tg589vac dual band wifi router

2.4gb wifi works great no issues at all

5gb wifi works great no issues at all

,wifi range is also 50% better

so looks like the only answer is use a third party router because the vodafone router is not fit for purpose

and yes vodafone did get me a third party router ( non vodafone one and before any vodafone moderator says no they did not read my account   ) 

so the answer to your next question is , you need to complaint and escalate it all the way

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice

View more options
30 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Seasons Greetings @gipjon

That's not good as I assume this is hindering your user experience. 

Does the router work Ok with an ethernet cable in the interim (if that's a viable option)

The dedicated Broadband Team via contact-us would be able to go through troubleshooting tips.

It's possible the router may need changing.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

yeah its not great when your trying to watch netflix seams to do it about 5 times a day, also if you go on expertmode and go to setting then configuration page , you can click on any tab like wifi or overview but you cant leave the configuration page  it just jumps to the bottom of the page where cancel or apply is , you can click every thing and you can not leave the page , the only way off is close internet exployer and open it again and sign back in 

Current firmware version
router says its uptodate 
View more options

we did what you said band of brother and this is what vodafone put

vodafone online adviserJaideep : If you are getting slow speed or connection drop only on WiFi then we can only do the channel change and split SSID in order to fix it, we cannot raise the fault ticket in the case of WiFi issue 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

The problem with Expert Mode>Settings>Configuration is a bad tag in the page coding.  You can get off the page by going down to the VPN settings, selecting one of the server options, REMOVE the password, then select None for VPN settings, and you can now apply and leave the page.

Unfortunatly if you told VF tech support your cat had fleas, their first response is the tell you to split the SSIDs!

View more options

the router does not seam to crash or reboot , it just turns the wifi off and back on 4 seconds later and also records it in the router logs 2018-12-21.png

View more options
8: Helper

Mine too.  I have been away for a week using another WiFi service... neither iPad has 'dropped out' even once during that week.  I just know it'll start again when I get home and back on VF WiFi.

Wired connection is not an option and having spoken with an adviser, split the ssids, changed channels etc and let it settle for 24 hours.  It made little to no discernible difference.  Keeping an open mind I will see how it goes when I get back home but I am not overly optimistic.

To top it all, I just received a bill for £56 for one month with VF (perhaps I am being charged in arrears for 26th November to 25th December and in advance for 26th December to 25th January.).  I am really not impressed with Vodafone at this stage.

View more options

Hey @gipjon do you have anything connected to the router by Ethernet? Another router or a switch perhaps?

Blair

View more options

nope nothing at all , every thing is just box standed , two laptop couple of phone etc thats it 2018-12-21a.png

View more options

Is the router sitting anywhere that gets a bit hot? A sunny window ledge, or above a radiator? This can sometimes cause issues, and ultimately will cause the router to power off if it overheats.

Also, is the router plugged into a separate power socket? Trailing power adapters that have several other things connected can cause issues too. We normally detect some interference at the routers location when we run tests from our side.

Blair

View more options
8: Helper

Hi Blair...  are you a VF tech person?

Somewhere Hot? no... it is in my office space which is generally heated to around 19°c

Sunny?  I have been with VF since November 26th this year.  It was probably sunnier inside the box it was delivered in than it is or has been recently in the northern extremes of Derbyshire.

It is incoveniently sitting slap bang in the middle of my desk because apparently, the sensitive poor thing doesn't like being within 30cms of a wall.  It is connected via a surge protected trailing adapter but of course, the ring main itself is little more than a giant trailing adaptor.  There is nothing other than immediately related kit sharing that connection and mostly that kit is switched off (unless specifically in use). Hive and Hue would be the primary exceptions as they are of course, always on.

i will seperate the modem into a wall socket (a reboot won't hurt I suppose) but, because of socket positioning in that room, it will be into a double wall socket also feeding the trailing adaptor.  

I actually have a shiny new, never used VF router, still in the sunshine filled box it was delivered in... presumably I need to obtain a username and/or passwordfrom C/S to give that one a go.  

Cheers.

View more options

@Blair So did we all skip a couple of months and it's April 1st already?  Or are we saying that the router does not comply with the details included in the "Safety Information" booklet included in the shipping box for the router?

View more options

I'm lost with the above comment . The router is in its own socket. Nothing else connect.  No heat near it and also there is a line filterd openreach bt master socket . Also tried diffence line filter . no extensions or house phone.  No Interference checked with a medium wave radio on 612 Hz.  No other WiFi near on the same channel .tried diffence channels 

View more options

@KeithAlger, it’s always best to keep any possible electrical interference to a minimum.

Blair

View more options

@gipjon If everything's good at your end, then we'll need to run some tests on your service to establish what’s causing this. We can also access the stats on your router which will give us an indication of any possible router fault. I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch so we can do this.

Blair

View more options

@Blair It's such a shame on a couple of different levels that the post you are referencing has been deleted.

Just for clarification then, you are agreeing that in order for the VF router to operate properly, ALL other electrical appliances in the vicinity need to be turned off?!?!

Going back further within this subject, the "Safety Information" booklet that is included in the router box also contains information on the operating temperatures (upto 40C), and links to the EU (CE) documentation on how the device should handle interference from other devices (stick the little Huawei wall wart onto an oscilloscope and it's pretty decent). 

*I'll admit I was being sarcastic, but it's possible to find examples of everything I was joking about, but being made straight faced by tech support staff.

**I have seen for myself though the issue regards fish tanks, heating pumps, even garden fountain pumps (any old/poorly suppressed water pumps) causing electrical mayhem - but generally they obliterate the signal to everything all at the same time, rather than causing an "orderly disconnect".

***A very quick one, if by any change you've changed the bandwidth in the WiFi Settings from it's default, change it back to 20MHz on the 2.4GHz band!

View more options
4: Newbie

ok, have you used a wifi scanner to scan the 2.4 wifi in your area?, the main issue i see with wifi is channel interference, by setting the chanell width fro 40 to 20 would reduce the chanell overlap and would also make you wife slower but may improve stability.

have a read here understang wifi may help you resolve the issues https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

https://www.bitfeed.co/page/wifi-20-mhz-or-40-mhz-how-to-choose-the-bandwidth

View more options

been onto vodaphone and they say your router is faulty . Don't see how it can be if it records the wifi disable in the router logs .any way vodafone place an order for a new router and guess what no router came . Contacted vodafone and they said we can see an order has been place and we can see we have not sent you the router . We are going to look into it and get back to you a week ago . Still no router 

View more options

Still on old router . I notice today my 5g WiFi has now started over the last few days disabling the 5g wifi at different times from the 2.4g wifi and this also shows in the logs .. only other thing is i am also getting 60,000 fec corrections every 3 seconds 

View more options
View more options