main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Other broadband queries

router wifi keeps disabling itself for 3 or 4 seconds then turns back on

SOLVED
View solved solution
14: Advanced member

An explaination here on the 2.4GHz Bandwidth setting!  On my own VF router (while we were still using it), setting the 2.4GHz bandwidth to 40MHz would cause it to occasionally (maybe one a week) just drop (and not restart) WiFi on this band.

Setting it to 20/40MHz can *on many routers* cause a different problem.  When there is low demand the bandwidth will sit at 20MHz quite happily, but as demand rises (and there is a 40MHz compatible device online) then the router switches to using the 40MHz of bandwidth, at transition it can end up disconnecting SOME (not all) devices - in a controlled manner.  The same can happen when the router later decides to narrow it's bandwidth back down.  Most of the time you are never going to notice, it only really becoming apparent when the device that gets cut off and then re-connected is streaming or downloading at the time.

It all has to do with how the WiFi protocols handle multiple devices in a crowded WiFi environment.  Of course if the setting on your VF router is still at the default (20MHz setting), then there is no way that this is really related!

Anyone wanting to do their own research on the above it's related to "20/40MHz WiFi coexistance".

View more options

update , we have master reset the router and within 4 minutes after the router had restarted the router disable 2.4g wifi for 4 seconds but i have notice that the wifi disable exactly one minute to the second after the laptop disconnected from Wifi , also on the other log i uploaded yesterday , my galaxy s9 disconneted from the 5g wifi and same again after 1 minute to the second the router disable the 5g wifi for 4 seconds 

so it seams to be every time a device disconneted from the wifi the router disables the wifi for 4 seconds router issue1.jpg

View more options
Highlighted

@gipjon Hi there, we'd have to have a look at your router and see what's happenong on it. If you reply to the private message Blair sent, one of our Broadband team will be in touch as soon as we can. Joe

View more options

not heard any thing from one of your team about the wifi issue. i have seen this same wifi issues now quite a few times around the web. seams to be one of the biggest reason for user saying my device keeps disconnecting from the router or the other reason that the power of the wifi is really low and only works about 5 meter away 

View more options
9: Established

@gipjon wrote:

not heard any thing from one of your team about the wifi issue. i have seen this same wifi issues now quite a few times around the web. seams to be one of the biggest reason for user saying my device keeps disconnecting from the router or the other reason that the power of the wifi is really low and only works about 5 meter away 

Likewise... nothing heard from anybody (apart from one of the team asking for a reference number when I said I'd heard nothing).

i don't doubt for a minute that the team here and elsewhere genuinely have the will to get problems fixed wherever they can be fixed but given the problem with the supplied router / wifi I am not sure there is actually a fix to be had.

I firmly believe that the currently supplied substandard router is at the heart of the matter given that I was sent a replacement router that suffered from exactly the same problem as the original and now I have a third party router handling the wifi, the problem has fully gone away.  Having to use a third party router connected to the VF router is not (for me) an acceptable solution though.  

It is a very frustrating situation - Vodafone is charging me for a service that they haven't provided to a satisfactory level since the connection went live on 26/11/18.  They want over £200 for early termination so that I can switch to a provider that can supply the (fairly basic) level of service I require and because (I believe) there is no workable solution, they are (seemingly) ignoring the issue.

No apologies for banging on about this but it really is not good enough.

View more options

Hey @gipjon & @HappyNomad, you can find a lot of helpful tips about improving your Wi-Fi coverage on the Vodafone router here.

If you've been sent a provate message, the dedicated team will be in touch as soon as they can. If you prefer a more immediate response you can always visit Live Chat here.

View more options

Are you trying to make a joke . Ring up .And talk to some one who is working off a script .sorry to say but changing channel or turning on the ssd is not going to help anyone . I got a better idea markf why don't you do the job that you are paid for and ring the company up who made the firmware or router and ask them why does the router turn off the wifi and then turn it back on . 

View more options
9: Established

@MarkF wrote:

Hey @gipjon & @HappyNomad, you can find a lot of helpful tips about improving your Wi-Fi coverage on the Vodafone router here.

If you've been sent a provate message, the dedicated team will be in touch as soon as they can. If you prefer a more immediate response you can always visit Live Chat here.

MarkF...  as per the thread title, the issue really isn't about wifi coverage - unless frequent wifi disconnects and reconnects while sitting still within four metres of the router is simply down to poor coverage.    In the helpful tips does it suggest changing ISP to one that at least supplies a functional wifi router? Does it suggest connecting another ISP's router to the VF router specifically to handle wifi connections?

Since joining VF less than two months ago I am now on my second  VF Modem.  Both the first and the second routers deliver  exactly the same random and unacceptable connect / disconnect behaviour.  Done the split SSIDs, specific channel, changed DNS etc with both,  had the various inferences that my equipment is to blame and I have been told twice that my synch speed is better than the minimum guaranteed despite me never mention any speed issues but you know what...?

... I have now connected an EE supplied Brightbox 2 router (solely to handle wifi connections) to the wifi disabled piece of junk supplied by VF, and guess what...  the problem of random but frequent few second disconnects has completely gone away for several days since...

... What does that tell us?  

View more options

if you look around the forum there are more than just us having these same issues but we are starting to come together as a community because we are all having the same issues over and over and vodafone seams to be washing every thing under the carpet etc also the media team needs to be replaced with more qualified advisers lets all help each other please read and share this post https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/i-have-emailed-the-complaints-team/m-p/2621027#...

View more options

after running two vodafone router same issues ,

update

we changed the router for a technicolour router tg589vac dual band wifi router

2.4gb wifi works great no issues at all

5gb wifi works great no issues at all

,wifi range is also 100% better

the internet seems a lot more responsive

the internet sync has also gone from 24mb to 33mb using a non vodafone router

so looks like the only answer is use a third party router because the vodafone router is not fit for purpose

and yes vodafone did get me a third party router ( non vodafone one and before any vodafone moderator says no they did not read my account   ) 

so the answer to your next question is , you need to make a complaint and escalate it all the way

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice

View more options

update 40 days later

40 days sync uptime on the non vodafone router and still the same answer 

2.4gb wifi works great no issues at all

5gb wifi works great no issues at all

sync is still 10meg more 

the internet is a lot more responsive 

,wifi range is also 100% better

so looks like the only answer is use a third party router because the vodafone router is not fit for purpose

View more options