Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G not working on new PAYG sim card

Redbull2075
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all

We have just purchased a PAYG sim card for our daughters birthday to use in an old iphone 6 but it will not display 4G even though both of our existing Vodafone iphones correctly have a full 4G signal in our house

We have tried resetting network settings

ensured correct settings are applied in...iphone settings 

Completed another full reset on itunes 

reset the iphone itself

searched the forums and tried various things

tried PAYG sim in our pay monthly iphone vodaphone phones and it only displays 3G in both of them also

no luck at all the PAYG sim is only connecting to 3G - it has a full signal

please can this kindly be resolved ASAP as we believe that this issue must be at vodafone's end

Many thanks

Simon

28 REPLIES 28

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same issue (no 4G) with a new PAYG SIM card.

How can I get this fixed?

Thanks in advance.

I too have contacted CS using live chat and was told to wait 3 hours then reboot my phone.

Seems to be working now.

Hello,

Recently purchased a PAYG sim but I’m only getting 3G despite numerous live chat attempts to fix the problem. 

Can you help? 

Thanks 

As noted earlier up thread you need to explicitly ask the agent you deal with to disconnect and then reconnect your number to the network. This appears to be the only fix to the issue. 

Although it is surprising given that this not an apparently isolated issue why this solution is not offered more proactively but nobody at Vodafone has commented on this as of yet. 

Thanks. 

However, this time I phoned an agent who proposed a different solution which worked for me. 

On the iPhone, the mobile LTE setup (APN) found in the mobile data menu cannot be left blank (even though it states that it is optional). APN settings for mobile LTE should be:

pp.vodafone.co.uk

web for both the admin and password. 

All other APN settings should be left as default. 

Hope this helps others. 

Just got a PAYG sim today. Stick it in the phone. 3G. 

Hours go by, still 3G (occasionally 3G+)

Phone is not a problem, works on wifes vodafone sim with 4G. 

Do vodafone deliberatley not provision 4G and wait until you complain or something? A lot of the replies from VF seem to be oh 4G isn't enabled .... why ? Why not ? Why don't you provision it automatically like you know... everyone else does. 

This is the only network that I've stuck a SIM in and can only get 3G.

Just tried it in a Samsung, 3G+ there too. 

I feel like i've just thrown £10 down the drain and I guess I won't be using it if all I get is 3G+. 

For the record, im in an area with 4G, and wife is also on VF and has 4G, her sim in my phone =4G. My sim in her phone =3g

Why do you do this vodafone? 

I guess I'll be going back to EE then ....

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @SNAKEPLISSKEN, I'm really sorry to hear your 4G is working correctly. One of our team will be happy to access your account and take a closer look into this for you. Please get in touch via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or contact us on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

Please also provide a link to this thread, along with your username; this will save time and we’ll be able to help you quicker. Alternatively, you can speak to an adviser using Live Chat

Thanks but I took it back to the shop, explained everything I said here....

The teenager behind the counter said oh its because your phone is asian (it's a Sony). 

I literally couldn't stop laughing at him. Fantastic customer service.

Anyway, refunded and gone back to EE.

ReedPR
8: Helper
8: Helper

6Depending on your Android OS and how technical you are, there are a few other options for you to check.

I use Android 8.1. If I go in Android settings, then Network and Internet, then Mobile data, there are options to look at in the advanced tab. See screenshot

Screenshot_20190621-133717.png

Make sure preferred network is 4g and if you have the option, choose Enhanced LTE. 

Still in Mobile Data, choose to manually select network provider. This will take up to 5 minutes to do. Once complete, you can choose Vodafone 2g, 3g and 4g. Choose Vodafone 4g to register on this network.

If all else fails, there is another option but only attempt this if you are comfortable and technical with your Android device.

If you go on your phone dialler and key in *#*#4636#*#* or *#4636#* this will take you to a secret menu.

Click on phone information and your screen will look something like this screenshot 

Screenshot_20190621-133815.png

You want to check if preferred network type is LTE/UTMS. If it isn't, change it in drop-down list. Be very careful with this list as if you choose the incorrect radio signal and save it, you will mess up your signal. Once you choose LTE/UTMS click on Ping to run a test to see if you can connect to this signal. If it says passed, you're in luck.

Do not mess with any other settings in this secret menu unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Good luck to all who need it!