Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Alternatives to PAYG ?

arcadian
4: Newbie

I've had a PAYG account for about 6/7 years though didn't use it much so recently closed the account down so as to get an up to date Vodaphone, only this time I don't want PAYG.

This is to avoid the problem you can get with PAYG if you ever leave of either losing the existing balance completely or being charged £19.99.

Is there such a package.... ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@arcadian I think most networks hold on to some or all of your PAYG balance if you just walk away. If you just forget to use the phone for an extended period, and the number is disconnected, the balance is definitely lost.

However, if you have unwisely topped up by too much, then decide to give up your account, there are alternatives to leaving the money behind. One is to make charitable donations via JustTextGiving. You can donate by this route to any charity which is registered with JustGiving, although you do have to do a bit of work to get it set up correctly; alternatively, there is a small range of options already set up here, if any of them are of interest. Another option is to contact Live Chat, and ask them to arrange to transfer your balance to the account of a family member; I did this recently for a phone that was returned to me after being on loan to an elderly relative - I didn't need a spare account, so I got the balance transferred to my main account. Of course, it comes as a straight transfer, and doesn't trigger any Rewards points or a Freebie, but it's still a lot better than just letting it go.

Annie

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

kids

I assume it is because of the convenience of PAYG and you do not have to top up large amounts at a time.

Thank you all for the very helpful advice, much appreciated. Still not that keen I guess as you still have no option, wait and see I think....

Thank you again !! :Smiling:

kids

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

So your wanting a Payg account but without a pre paid bundle package that gives allowances every 30 days ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Possibly the option described by @Anne_N in https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go-products-services/PAYG-SIM-required-that-you-dont-top-...

Current Phone  >

kids

There are only two options , PAYG or Pay Monthly.

I assume the £19.99 you refer to is the unlocking charge for the handset. If you are on Pay Monthly you can get it unlocked free after 12 months. If you buy a phone that is locked to Vodafone elsewhere and use it on PAYG you can get it unlocked after 30 days on payment of the £19.99 charge.

BandOfBrothers
Happy to help. 😎

Current Phone  >

Annie_N

@arcadian I think most networks hold on to some or all of your PAYG balance if you just walk away. If you just forget to use the phone for an extended period, and the number is disconnected, the balance is definitely lost.

However, if you have unwisely topped up by too much, then decide to give up your account, there are alternatives to leaving the money behind. One is to make charitable donations via JustTextGiving. You can donate by this route to any charity which is registered with JustGiving, although you do have to do a bit of work to get it set up correctly; alternatively, there is a small range of options already set up here, if any of them are of interest. Another option is to contact Live Chat, and ask them to arrange to transfer your balance to the account of a family member; I did this recently for a phone that was returned to me after being on loan to an elderly relative - I didn't need a spare account, so I got the balance transferred to my main account. Of course, it comes as a straight transfer, and doesn't trigger any Rewards points or a Freebie, but it's still a lot better than just letting it go.

Annie