Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Alternatives to PAYG ?

arcadian
4: Newbie

I've had a PAYG account for about 6/7 years though didn't use it much so recently closed the account down so as to get an up to date Vodaphone, only this time I don't want PAYG.

This is to avoid the problem you can get with PAYG if you ever leave of either losing the existing balance completely or being charged £19.99.

Is there such a package.... ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@arcadian I think most networks hold on to some or all of your PAYG balance if you just walk away. If you just forget to use the phone for an extended period, and the number is disconnected, the balance is definitely lost.

However, if you have unwisely topped up by too much, then decide to give up your account, there are alternatives to leaving the money behind. One is to make charitable donations via JustTextGiving. You can donate by this route to any charity which is registered with JustGiving, although you do have to do a bit of work to get it set up correctly; alternatively, there is a small range of options already set up here, if any of them are of interest. Another option is to contact Live Chat, and ask them to arrange to transfer your balance to the account of a family member; I did this recently for a phone that was returned to me after being on loan to an elderly relative - I didn't need a spare account, so I got the balance transferred to my main account. Of course, it comes as a straight transfer, and doesn't trigger any Rewards points or a Freebie, but it's still a lot better than just letting it go.

Annie

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

How about a sim only 30 day contract or their is a 12

month option. 

As long as you can pass a credit check. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the quick response !

I'm looking to pay say £!0 - £20 in advance every so often without any conditions, so no need for a credit check or loads of paperwork etc...

Thanks

kids

Then PAYG is best as the phone can be inactive for up to 180 days and the credit will still be available to use.

Thanks again hadn't realised that.

One question though, what happens if you need to leave for whatever reason say halfway through the 180 days with a credit balance of perhaps £30 ? Is it lost or minus £19.99 ....?

kids

PAYG credit is non refundable.

What is the £19.99 your are referring to?

BandOfBrothers

Credit isn't returnable so any left unused would be lost. 

The £19.99 isn't for leaving its the fee for unlocking your phone so you can use it in another network of you wish if you've used it on Payg for 30 days +

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sorry about the £19.99 forget that.

It's the bit about credit not being refundable if you have to leave for whetever reason. That's definitely a bit of a no no really, why ?

kids

The solution is to not put as much credit on the phone. Just stick another £10 on when you are running low.

Ah yes of course thanks not too bad if it's say a fiver or so 🙂

Nevertheless I still don't see any justification for such a draconian rule for much higher amounts when they've done nothing to earn it....?