Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Big Value Bundle, Free EU roaming for Tourist

cklee75
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I will visit UK next week for 4 days then proceed to France for 3 days. Woud like to check am I entitle to free EU roaming if I bought a Big Value Bundle? Other operator like Giffgaff does not allow free EU roaming for its Goodybag package if you are a visitor (only use SIM for few days).

Am I entitle to free EU roaming at France for PAYG1, if I only use vodafone line in UK for 4 days?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @cklee75

All Vodafone PAYG tariffs come with Global Roaming.  Even if you are only going to be in the UK and in France for a total of 7 days, you are free to use EU roaming,  Please see the link below.

Vodafone PAYG 1 and Big Value Bundles

If you are only going to be in the UK and France for a total of 7 days, PAYG 1 would be the best option and you would never spend more than £1.00 per day in the UK or in a PAYG EU destination.  This means you would be able to spend 3 days in France using your PAYG Vodafone SIM as you would in the UK without the worry of any additional charges for calls or texts to countries in the PAYG EU zone. The only thing you would need to do would be to make sure your SIM is sufficiently topped up with credit whilst you are in the UK to take care of the days in France and a £10.00 top up should take care of your needs.

You will be able to find a Vodafone Store in practically every town and shopping centre in the UK and if your PAYG SIM comes from a store, they will be able to add the necessary top up, make sure any roaming restrictions are removed and you are free to start using the service.  You don't mention the country you are travelling from, but if this is in the EU, any remaining credit can be used when you are back home enjoying the same Global Roaming with Vodafone.

Enjoy your trip to the UK and France.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers

Hi @cklee75

This link shows you what Vodafone offer in regards to Payg and roaming. 

Vodafone and Travelling-abroad.

You'll need a phone that's unlocked to all networks and will work on Vodafones frequencies and band's. 

Roaming will also need to be activated on your Payg account which the shop can do. 

You can only top up your Vodafone Payg account with vouchers and a UK card among other options. You'll need to use the account every 180 days to keep it active by making calls, texting using data or topping up. 

More info in pay-as-you-go-top-up

Vodafone Payg Terms and.Conditions are in Terms-and-conditions.

Take into account Vodafone only allow roaming for a certain period of time. 

If your going to go over that then it maybe more beneficial just to use a local.sim card in France. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @cklee75

All Vodafone PAYG tariffs come with Global Roaming.  Even if you are only going to be in the UK and in France for a total of 7 days, you are free to use EU roaming,  Please see the link below.

Vodafone PAYG 1 and Big Value Bundles

If you are only going to be in the UK and France for a total of 7 days, PAYG 1 would be the best option and you would never spend more than £1.00 per day in the UK or in a PAYG EU destination.  This means you would be able to spend 3 days in France using your PAYG Vodafone SIM as you would in the UK without the worry of any additional charges for calls or texts to countries in the PAYG EU zone. The only thing you would need to do would be to make sure your SIM is sufficiently topped up with credit whilst you are in the UK to take care of the days in France and a £10.00 top up should take care of your needs.

You will be able to find a Vodafone Store in practically every town and shopping centre in the UK and if your PAYG SIM comes from a store, they will be able to add the necessary top up, make sure any roaming restrictions are removed and you are free to start using the service.  You don't mention the country you are travelling from, but if this is in the EU, any remaining credit can be used when you are back home enjoying the same Global Roaming with Vodafone.

Enjoy your trip to the UK and France.

Thanks for your reply. If I top up £10, and have free EU roaming, shouldn't Big Value Bundles be more worth it?

Thanks.

AnnS

Hi @cklee75

There is nothing stopping you from purchasing a £10.00 BVB, since you only need the service for 7 days, you may be able to manage on a £5.00 bundle.  If you wanted a make a lot of calls with PAYG 1, you would have a better allowance.

Thanks again. My SIM card is already with a relative in UK, and I will only visit UK from Asia this Thursday.

• Could my relative help to activate the SIM, purchage topup and enable EU roaming via online on the other phone, then I swap the SIM to my unlocked phone later?
    • The EU roaming setting relates to the SIM or phone or both? 
  • Must enabling EU roaming only can be done at shop?
    • If so, could you provide shop location?
    • Only can be done a Vodafone shops? How about other like Carphone Warehouse?
    • Any shop at Heathrow Terminal 4? Plan to get new SIM there.

I have a new Vodafone PAYG SIM card with a relative in UK now, and I will only visit UK from Asia this Thursday.

• Could my relative help to activate the SIM, purchage topup and enable EU roaming via online on the other phone, then I swap the SIM to my unlocked phone later?
    • The EU roaming setting relates to the SIM or phone or both? 
  • Must enabling EU roaming only can be done at shop?
    • If so, could you provide shop location?
    • Only can be done a Vodafone shops? How about other like Carphone Warehouse?
    • Any shop at Heathrow Terminal 4? Plan to get another new SIM there.

AnnS

Hi @cklee75

I didn't reply earlier because I thought these questions would have been covered in previous replies.

There is nothing stopping your relative adding credit, making sure roaming is activated, the package goes with the SIM, not the phone.   You will be able to find a Vodafone Store in practically every large shopping centre, town or City.

There is further information and a check list for things to do on the link below.

What do I need to do before travelling abroad?

If you need further support or if there is anything you are unclear about a Vodafone Store will help. As you will be travelling to Terminal 4, it will be the ideal place for help.  Alternatively Vodafone can be contacted from the link below.

Contact Us

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

Unfortunately the only Vodafone store at Heathrow is now at T5, so won't be much use to you (lunatic decision by Vodafone). You would do better to use a store near your relative.

There is a bizarre sentence in the Acceptable Use Policy - top of page 2: "You should not be using our services for extended periods of travel or if you are permanently resident outside the UK." I've no idea whether Vodafone actually means this, but I guess they don't enforce it, as the advice in this thread is given regularly, and I've not seen any Vodafone staff suggesting that the advice is incorrect.

For just 7 days, PAYG1 will give you better allowances than the £10 BVB - but do make sure you have opted for PAYG1 before you top up, or you may find you've bought the bundle instead.