Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Billed £1 a day for internet when Mobile Data off

peteofdean
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a PAYG phone and make very little use of it - I have made 1 phone call in the last 3 months. However, I have discovered today that I am down to 80p as £1 has been deducted on 15 occasions in the last 3 months, because it has used 0.1mb of data in a day each time. Mobile Data has always been turned off, and any updates come over my house Wifi. Today I turned my phone on and at midday I scanned using the NHS app, as I entered a building.  I have discovered that 2 hours later I was billed £1 for 0.1 mb of 'internet'. I have contacted the customer help desk, but she didn't believe that I had Mobile Data off. I asked if someone could have cloned my phone, but she said no. 

Today is the first time that I've used the NHS app this year, so I can't blame that app. Is it possible for an app to get around the 'mobile data off'?

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Unfortunately we've seen this happen to other Payg customers not too long ago.

If you perform a forum search you'll see these threads @peteofdean 

I'd suggest to contact the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter or Facebook and they'll assist you as they are aware of this situation affecting some Payg users.

They can't help from here as account access isn't available via this forum.

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

muff13
4: Newbie

I had this problem and I managed to get some money refunded by, persistently, contacting customer services via Twitter, I now have to keep my phone in aeroplane mode at all times to avoid this ridiculous charge. I think hard before I enable data as I know it will incur a charge of £1 even if I do not use it in any way. 

I have contacted Vodafone via Facebook, and after 70 hours and communicating with 6 different people I have been refunded. Then I looked at my wife's account and she has also been charged for 6  £1s for 'internet' and some of those were for 0.00MB but it's too much effort to get that refunded. I have read that on Android under 'data usage' you can set the data limit to 0 and then it won't upload/download anything, so I have tried that.

If it's relevant, our phones are modern Motorola ones, but different models.