Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Block Stolen New Mobile Phone

siburrman
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, 

Im looking for some advice on blocking a stolen phone. I purchased a basic PAYG Vodaphone mobile phone left in the car for emergencies and it was stolen. Unfortuneatly for me i never made a call on the phone so the IMEI number of the mobile was not registered to the account. 

I have the orignal order from amazon, the original box with IMEI number and crime reference number form the police. Is there any other way to block the phone? Even though it wasnt an expensive phone i dont want the theif to have the satifaction of being able to use it. 

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @siburrman

As you have mentioned unless the SIM had been activated and a chargeable activity made the IMEI would not be registered on the network.  

The best way forward is to wait for the team to get to the thread but under the circumstances not sure if anything can be done  and you may need to let it go. 

Thanks AnnS

Seems bonkers to me. If a lorry full of brand new unregistered phones was stolen surely they would just block the IMEI numbers of all the stolen phones? Otherwise they would be targeted all the time by theives knowning that they would get away with it. 

AnnS

Yes @siburrman but the problem is it could have been any network SIM in the phone. It was never used on the Vodafone network. 

Agreed so give the power to the police to block phones? I have all the evidence that i own the phone. 

What happens if the phone i purchased did not arrive in the post and was stolen during transit? As the buyer i would get a refund off amazon but who does amazon go to to get the unregistered phone blocked?

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@siburrman I'm sorry to hear you've had your phone stolen 😔 We'll happily look into the options we may have available to blacklist the device for you. Please send your details over to us following the instructions I've included in this private message.

Thanks Josh, i have sent that off. 

What makes me sick is the fact theives commit crimes and getting away with it. Chances are the phone is gone forever and the best i can hope for is blocking the phone so they cant use or sell it. If anything it will be a deterrant to those thinking about stealing mobile phones.     

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

Totally concur with your sentiments!

Something to bear in mind with a future phone - make sure it's working fully before relegating it to emergency status, and also make a diary note to charge it occasionally and use it for the occasional chargeable call to keep it active. Although the theoretical interval is once every 270 days, who is going to keep track of that? I have a diary note to use my backup phone every 4 months, so, even if I miss one of those, I'm still within the 270 days.

Otherwise, come the emergency, you may find your emergency phone is as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard.