main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay as you go

Buying 2 GB for someone else's phone

Cosmos
4: Newbie

Hi,

I want to buy a 2 GB pack as a one off for someone else's PAYG phone.

The snag seems to be that it will automatically renew after 30 days.

It's cancellable by texting STOP2GDATA or some such. However, like I said, it's not for my phone so I can't do that.

So is there some way to top up someone else's phone as a one off?

Thanks!

View more options
12 REPLIES 12
AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Cosmos

The only thing you can do is to top up the other number with the credit required for the extra data, you won't be able to add the pack, that has to be done from the number adding the extra allowance.

The pack automatically rolls over after 30 days and will need to be cancelled from the number using the extra data the day before it runs out.  This is done by texting  STOP2GBDATA to 49500 from the phone cancelling the extra.

You can find how to top up someone else's phone below.

How can I top up someone else’s phone?

View more options
Cosmos

Thanks AnnS,

There is a page on the Vodafone website that allows me to buy a data pack for someone else's number directly, so that's not a problem.

It's the fact that it repeats after 30 days that is a problem, since they would need to cancel rather than me.

View more options
ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

@Cosmos wrote:

There is a page on the Vodafone website that allows me to buy a data pack for someone else's number directly, so that's not a problem.

It's the fact that it repeats after 30 days that is a problem, since they would need to cancel rather than me.

Can you give a link to the page? It really shouldn't enable you to incur a recurrent charge for someone else! Could it be a means of adding a data pack to a tablet or wifi device rather than a phone??

View more options
Cosmos

@ToniCa
Can you give a link to the page? It really shouldn't enable you to incur a recurrent charge for someone else! Could it be a means of adding a data pack to a tablet or wifi device rather than a phone??

Yes it is a means of adding data to a tablet or wifi device:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/existing-customers/topping-up/

then pick "Your tablet, data dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi", then "Pay by debit or credit card".

View more options
AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Cosmos

You asked how to add an extra 2GB data to someone else's phone, this was something you did not want to have as a recurrent monthly charge.   You would therefore need to add the extra 2GB extra from the link below.

Vodafone Extras

As mentioned in my first reply, the only thing you would be able to do would be to add the credit but the data extra would need to be added and cancelled towards the end of the 30 days by the person who has the phone.

You have linked to the topping up page for adding credit to a PAYG phone or data to a data device.

View more options
ToniCa

But, if you go to the page linked to by @Cosmos, choose a data device, and enter the "phone number" for a PAYG data SIM, you don't get a phone Extra, you get a 90-day data pack - the options will presumably look like this, but I haven't got a MBB number to try it out.

Data packs.JPG

So you aren't buying a phone Extra - which logically Vodafone couldn't permit you to do for someone else's number, as you would be entering the account user into a commitment. You're buying a data pack for a mobile broadband device, and that doesn't auto renew, so I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't buy one for someone else. It's analagous to topping up a phone, and clearly Vodafone enables it to happen, though I'd guess it's relatively unusual.

Phew! The title of the thread had me rather worried!

View more options
Cosmos
wrote:

@But, if you go to the page linked to by @Cosmos, choose a data device, and enter the "phone number" for a PAYG data SIM, you don't get a phone Extra, you get a 90-day data pack - the options will presumably look like this, but I haven't got a MBB number to try it out.

Data packs.JPG

So you aren't buying a phone Extra - which logically Vodafone couldn't permit you to do for someone else's number, as you would be entering the account user into a commitment. You're buying a data pack for a mobile broadband device, and that doesn't auto renew, so I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't buy one for someone else. It's analagous to topping up a phone, and clearly Vodafone enables it to happen, though I'd guess it's relatively unusual.

Phew! The title of the thread had me rather worried! 

So I go to this link:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/existing-customers/topping-up/

then pick "Your tablet, data dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi", then "Pay by debit or credit card".

Enter a PAYG phone number (not a data device) , then the "Choose a Bundle" tab, I see these options:

Choose an extra or a 4G data pack for your device.

£5 Extra - 100 UK minutes (30 days)
£5 Extra - 500 UK texts (30 days)
£10 Extra - 2GB of UK data (30 days)
£5 Extra - 50 International minutes

View more options
Cosmos

I should probably also make it clear that I am aware that the "Your tablet, data dongle or Mobile Wi-Fi" button is meant for data devices. Obviously.

Can I add 2GB data directly to someone else's PAYG phone?

Yes.

Is that a problem?

I don't see that as a problem, even if it is not what is intended. It is exactly what I wanted to do.

But the fact that it recurs is a problem. Hence asking is there a way to do it without it recurring.

I guess the answer is no.

View more options
ToniCa

Hell! How right you are!

I've never looked very closely, as I'm not willing to let Vodafone have my credit card details, but that's appalling. I wonder how long that scary option has been available.

I've gone down the line to the point of entering my card details, and at no point have I been asked to prove any entitlement to make transactions on the account. Simply topping up has always been permitted, so that friends or family can help out if you run out of credit unexpectedly, but anything that means you are entering into a commitment on behalf of the account holder should surely require the ability to log in to the online account. Requiring account login wouldn't be an issue, as you can always add other authorised persons , or an alternative phone number, but adding an extra without any entitlement to do so opens up nightmare scenarios. You could sign up to a total £30 per month commitment. Of course, you'd have to invest £30 upfront, and the unwitting recipient/victim would have to ignore a number of texts from Vodafone - but what are texts from Vodafone for, if not to ignore them?

Can a Moderator get this looked into as a matter of urgency?

View more options
ToniCa

@Cosmos wrote:

But the fact that it recurs is a problem. Hence asking is there a way to do it without it recurring. I guess the answer is no.

Yes, that is precisely the problem. All PAYG Extras are structured to renew automatically, provided you have an adequate balance, unless you have actively stopped them. Therefore there is no way that anyone other than the account holder or a person authorised to operate the account should be able to apply an Extra to an account.

It beggars belief that anyone on Vodafone's staff should have set up a means of applying an Extra to an account without appropriate authorisation.

View more options
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

@Cosmos I'm glad to see that you're queries been answered; apologies if it's not exactly what you were looking for.

@ToniCa We appreciate your feedback and we'll make sure that a screenshot of your post is sent to the relevant team for investigation. It could be that they'll look into this, to help improve our adding extras process in the future. 

View more options
ToniCa

@TJ wrote:

@ToniCa We appreciate your feedback and we'll make sure that a screenshot of your post is sent to the relevant team for investigation. It could be that they'll look into this, to help improve our adding extras process in the future. 

I think you underestimate the seriousness of the situation here. You might not be too happy if you found that a "friend" had added up to £30 to your next month's bill. That sort of thing can and does happen, and an organisation of Vodafone's standing should not be opening the door to such "friends". 

View more options