Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Buying a new PAYG phone and using an existing SIM

DAB12343
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I currently have a Vodafone PAYG SIM, which I use in my own phone.  I am considering buying a new PAYG Phone with Big Value Bundle online, is there any way of having the bundle applied to my existing SIM, rather than receiving a new one?

Many Thanks

-Dave

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @DAB12343 

You won't have any problems doing a SIM swap. Pop into a Vodafone store and they will transfer your number to a new blank SIM.

If the new phone uses the same size SIM, you can use the same SIM but with a new phone, you may need a new SIM.

You will then be able to purchase a bundle.

Thanks for the response - I will be able to use my existing SIM.  What will happen with regard to credit as I will have the remaining balance on my existing SIM and presumably the BVB on a new SIM, can they be combined or am I missing something?

AnnS

Hi @DAB12343

The BVB is with the number. You will need to use the new SIM until the expiry date. 

When the BVB expires, you can use the old SIM or transfer the number to a new SIM and add a bundle on your previous number.

If you do a. SIM swap, any credit will be transferred.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

If you buy a new Vodafone PAYG phone online, it is my understanding that it will come with the Big Value Bundle already applied to the new SIM that accompanies it.

If you go to a Vodafone store to buy the phone, then their standard response is to apply the BVB to the new SIM which is supplied with the phone. However, if you have your old phone and SIM with you, they may be willing to set up the new phone with the old SIM (or a new SIM of the required size with your old number transferred to it), and then apply the BVB to that.

Thanks Both - So it looks like my options are:

1. Buy online.  Apply for a SIM swap and have the credit on the new SIM, including BVB added to my credit on my existing SIM (It is already the correct size)

2. Have the phone delivered to Store (not available in my local branch), and ask them nicely if thay can apply the BVB to my existing SIM when I pick up the phone. 

Am I correct?  Many thanks for your help.

Annie_N
I'm not sure about option 1 - I don't know that it's possible to effectively roll up two accounts into one. Any thoughts @AnnS ?

I did wonder about buying through a third party supplier, but that has definite downsides, not least a less generous warranty period. And the two phones I priced were a lot more expensive through other retailers - well worth paying £10 for the BVB, even if you don't use it and its associated SIM.

Thanks - in that case I'll go for option 2 and hope that, they are willing to apply the BVB to the existing SIM in store.

Many Thanks for all of your help

-Dave

AnnS

Hi @Annie_N

If the phone comes with a BVB SIM, most probably the BVB will be with the new SIM number.

@DAB12343

If you are planning on collecting the phone from a store, you can only ask about adding the BVB to your current number.